Yojimbo vs. A Fistful of Dollars

6 comments

5 comments

on 3/3/2010

this is a hard one, both the same movie just one a samurai movie and the other a western...

on 3/5/2010

Considering the western is a samurai ripoff, got to go with Yojimbo.

on 9/17/2012

I saw Yojimbo first, and I think that has a lot to do with why I'm picking it in this matchup. Had I seen Fistful first perhaps they would be reversed.

on 11/10/2012

A Fistful of Dollars is the better film. More concise and gets to the same point quicker. There both on the same level, but A Fistful of Dollars is just a bit better than Yojimbo.

on 1/13/2013

One could easily make the case that Yojimbo is the better film but, damn it, I can't go against Clint Eastwood and Sergio Leone. A Fistful of Dollars wins.

on 1/14/2013

I need to give Fistful another look (like, REAL bad), but I'll go with Yojimbo for now. Mifune was so--fucking--cool. The whole thing just works better with Mifune's chin-rubbing.

on 2/27/2013

Both are definitely on par with each other, you can tell where Leone got his influence from, but Fistful of Dollars is just a better film overall.

on 1/6/2014

Yojimbo is very good, but I prefer Leone to Kurosawa, I prefer Western films to Samurai films, and I just enjoy A Fistful of Dollars more. Also, Yojimbo had a great score, but better than Morricone's? Ha Ha, that's not even a contest.

on 6/3/2015

Fistful is great when you consider it separately but I can't get over the fact that it totally ripped off Yojimbo copying the charcters, storyline, plot and some scenes including the great coffin-maker joke! Plus Yojimbo does a tremendous job of developing numerous memorable characters including a far superior villain in Tatsuya Nakadai. Yojimbo wins!!!

on 5/18/2017

Fistful is a shameless rip-off. Leone's plagiarism is almost astonishing as you watch the exact same story beats play out in subpar fashion. It's no wonder Kurosawa sued and won. Even if you disregard Leone's creative bankruptcy, Yojimbo is also just a much more competently made film. Eastwood can keep up Mifune, but the rest of Fistful's cast is mundane to poor.

on 7/24/2018

Both are great, but gotta side with Kurosawa slightly.