Yojimbo vs. Sanjuro

7 comments

4 comments

This is an incredibly hard decision. But in the end I think I find Sanjuro even more entertaining than Yojimbo.

Both solid flicks, but Yojimbo benefits from 1) better action, and 2) Tatsuya Nakadai's outstanding turn as the villain.

Yojimbo, definitely, but Sanjuro is one of the best sequels I've ever seen.

It's pretty close, but I also have to go with Yojimbo in this matchup. Toshiro Mifune is a bit more of a scoundrel in that film, which makes it more fun.

I'll hop on the train with Yojimbo...but frankly, don't love either.

Sanjuro is the "comedy" of the two, but it's more of a reality check. Blatantly anti-progressive, and a final burst of violence that's accidentally glorious in how deglorified they tried to make it.

Rarely does the sequel outdo the original, and even though Yojimbo is better than Sanjuro, both are wonderful and both stand up by themselves as great films. The direction and the camera work in Yojimbo was stronger, whereas the performances in Sanjuro were stronger. Both are must sees and just further proof that Akira is one of the greatest directors film has ever seen.

Sanjuro is a very good sequel, but Yojimbo is definitely better.

Both are great, and although Sanjuro is smarter, Yojimbo has the slight edge with it's greater character development, especially Tatsuya Nakadai's superior villain. Also Yojimbo is more epic with it's windy setting. Yojimbo wins.

Yojimbo may be a classic, but I'm giving the edge to Sanjuro for better pacing, action, and even humor.

Yojimbo, although Sanjuro is pretty great too.

Yojimbo

I really enjoyed both but I’ve gotta go with yojimbo