The Green Mile vs. The Mist

14 comments

2 comments

JRM
JRM

Love Darabont's adaptions of Stephen King's works. Both these movies blew me away, but Green Mile more so.

If Darabont is ever adapting King again, somebody let me know. I love both of these more than Shawshank (but Shawshank's really growing on me, too). The Green Mile wins.

JRM
JRM

I heard he's adapting another one of King's novels called "The Long Walk". Not sure when it's getting released, but hopefully soon.

Hm...not seeing it on Darabont's page on IMDb, but that sure would be nice...

ear
ear

I think both films are terrific but The Mist was the surprise here.

Are you saying that you choose The Mist because it was "surprisingly" good, as opposed to The Green Mile which you EXPECTED to be good? Because, actually, I'd agree with that assessment...but I still think The Green Mile is a smidgen better, if only because horror is really not my genre. With that said--horror is really not my genre--The Mist is my second all-time favorite horror movie (at least, as I tend to define the genre), after Alien.

JRM
JRM

It was from a 2007 interview of The Mist. He said The Long Walk would be his next Stephen King adaption, and would try to get to it 'soon'. So it's on his radar for sure.

ear
ear

johnmason your assessment is right. I kind of lean toward horror sometimes especially when it's done well. A smidgen better for The Mist it is, but it's so close I could change my vote tomorrow.

@JRM: Just looked up the plot for The Long Walk on Wikipedia; I wait with baited breath. @ear: I know that feeling; there are several matchups that go that way for me. However, as much as I do love The Mist, I can't see it cracking my Top 20, where The Green Mile is firmly entrenched.

I found The Green Mile a bit sentimental for my tastes, although it's still good entertainment. The Mist was very effective at everything it tried to do (including being one of the best Lovecraft-style horror films out there) with the exception of its villainous "Crazy Church Lady"- a waste of a compelling idea for modern midwestern American terror. I gave the win to the Myst, in the end.

The Mist is actually kind of fun in a bad movie sort of way. You just have to be prepared for it to insult your intelligence. I feel like I'd like it a lot more if it was made 30 years ago, though, when creature effects were ironically a lot better--is that a fair criticism? I think so. Anyway, The Green Mile is dumb.

LOVE both of these. Gotta choose Green Mile

both by the same director i forgot his name but anyway The Mist is a really good horror flick but The Green Mile is a masterpiece of a film

Man...The Mist is so damn good, but I just can't pick it over The Mile...

Both excellent but Green Mile gets it.

The Mist was pretty good, it had a hell of an atmosphere, and while it was pretty nice, I'm still taking The Green Mile cuz it's just, y'know, better. Enjoyed it way more.

The Mist is garbage with the worst ending in movie history.