The Dark Knight Rises vs. The Bourne Identity

4 comments

5 comments

Good enough films, I guess. Do I kowtow to bad filming? Or bad denouement? Bad filming? Bad denouement? Decisions, decisions.

*a

TDKR has grown on me more and more than it did the first time, partly because I've managed to fully get to grips with some of the plot twists/overlook the more glaring plotholes and admire it for the cinematic spectacle which it is. But The Bourne Identity is the less problematic film without question, and though it carries less on its shoulders and has a comparatively diminutive scope, this works to its advantage in making it the better film. Bourne wins.

I can't stand the ShakyCam, even though I otherwise liked Bourne Identity quite a bit. DKR's art direction trumps Shaky Cam.

@consp77, Identity didn't have any shaky cam, or at least very little compared to the sequels. Paul Greengrass brought that in with him when he came to direct Supremacy and Ultimatum. I agree it gets very annoying, and I say that as someone who thinks Supremacy is the best in the series, although that has more to do with the story and action set-pieces than the cinematography (Ultimatum's use of shaky cam was intolerable, as it had a much less compelling story and very few interesting/sympathetic characters or developments thereof to make up for it).

If you think too hard about DKR, then it falls apart easily. And please, art direction? It's just a blockbuster action movie.

Both are the second best of their respective trilogy in my opinion (The Dark Knight and The Borne Ultimatum are the best). Rises is the stronger movie.

TDK > TDKR > Ultimatum > Supremacy > Identity > BB

The Bourne identity is better.

TDKR > Supremacy >>>> the other Bournes

Literally any entry in the Bourne franchise (apart from JB)>>TDKR