Joker vs. The King of Comedy

4 comments

6 comments

The parallels are so uncanny, it almost feels like Joker is a continuation of The King of Comedy. A wannabe standup comedian with deep psychological issues, takes matters into his own violent hands to become noticed. Both films are absolutely outstanding, and it's hard to split them.

The Joker may be the most overrated movie released last decade. It's monotone and frankly, an awful film.

ear
ear

Joker by far.

The King of Comedy

The King of Comedy. Joker is good, but very overrated imo

Very, very similar films. Really liked 'em both....

Eh, Joker is a tad overrated, yeah. Not bad, but not that good either; actually, just plainly watchable. Joaquin Phoenix is what makes the movie worthy at least one watch. No Joaquin Phoenix and you would just got some mediocre Scorsese Lite flick. King of Comedy, on the other hand, is a gem made by Scorsese. Perhaps not his best film, but it at least beats a lot of his overlong, late career gangster films, like Wolf of Wall Street and The Irishman. De Niro is great as always and I'll take it any day here.

call me crazy, but i prefer joker

Of course the influence is undeniable, but I find the argument that Joker is 'just' a remake of King of Comedy a tad reductionist, personally. Still, I'll take the original on this one!

^^^ dear god i agree with that statement so much. redditors don't know the different between "copying" and "influence"

I'd just rather watch The King of Comedy over the rip-off