The Raid vs. Enter the Dragon

1 comments

5 comments

The Raid wishes it was as awesome as Enter the Dragon. (Unfair) snark aside, I wasn't a fan of The Raid. Or, well, a big fan. Everyone and their grandmother love the crap out of it, and while I can perfectly see why, it takes more than just a reel of pretty spectacular action scenes to make me love a movie like this. The characters are basic, the story is even more basic, the dialogue is nothing special, the narrative can be a mess sometimes and at times the shaky cam stuff is just borderline nauseating. "Those things get the job done"; if they did for you, great, but I see quite some room for improvement. It's been a while since I've seen Enter the Dragon, but I do remember liking it considerably more than I did The Raid. It has sweet 70's visuals, a cool Lalo Schifrin score, Bruce Lee's canonball fists, likeable side characters and an overload of kickassery.

Ouch!

"The characters are basic, the story is even more basic, the dialogue is nothing special, the narrative can be a mess sometimes and at times the shaky cam stuff is just borderline nauseating." Copy, paste and apply to virtually every Martial Arts movie ever made (with the exception of the shaky-cam stuff). Actually, the camera work in The Raid is borderline genius; Evans is a smart cat. Anyway, y'all ain't fucking with Bruce.

^Eh, I guess. I'm no expert like you and Tory are, so I can't say you're wrong. Some points I made also apply to Enter the Dragon, but they didn't stick out as much in that film, I think. It certainly comes across as much less "basic" than The Raid.

Both Classic films. Raid for me.

Neither of these is even my favorite from these two martial arts stars. 40 years gives the Raid an advantage in fight choreography and special effects, but no way anything Iko does will ever touch the GOAT for me though.