Moon vs. Blade Runner

0 comments

2 comments

I wasn't a big fan of Blade Runner. I probably need to see the Final Cut version (which everyone tells me is the "real" Blade Runner), but based on the Theatrical cut, Moon wins.

I think I probably "got" Moon on first time viewing, whereas I didn't "get" Blade Runner. Having now seen Blade Runner twice and still not fully understood its intricacies, I can safely say that both of these films are fantastic pieces of slow-burning, cerebral Sci-Fi, both of which have a lot of heart and soul put into them, but Blade Runner is the slightly more beguiling film. It manages to remain elusive without being impenetrable to me, giving me a good reason to revisit it in the future. Moon is a superb noughties call-back to the great Sci-Fi films of the 60s and 70s, and it is to be commended for presenting a cold, clinical, Kubrician vision of the future whilst remaining grounded in humanity thanks to a career standout performance(s) from Sam Rockwell, but Blade Runner just about has the edge on this one for remaining a mystery to me.