Moon vs. District 9

3 comments

5 comments

Now this is tough. Two of the best SciFi movies in recent memory.

This is a good matchup. Read a good article recently describing how similar they are in some ways - a brutally tragic tale of a working man who gets sick/injured due to his job for an evil corporation where they have to try to escape before they die. As great as the mood and tone of Moon is, and Rockwell's performance in it, I have to give it to D9 for it's excellent CG/live-action integration, veritae-styling, and edge-of-my-seat entertainment. It's simply an amazing film - especially for a first-time feature for new director Blomkamp.

Easy. MOON.

Tough one. D9 is a messy pseudo documentary that's a balls out romp that never loses sight of the big picture questions sci-fi should raise. Moon is quite and precise, slowly revealing the world of the film and poses big existential questions, and even takes a stab at answering them. No disrespect to D9 but moon gets it by a fingernail.

JRM
JRM

Moon, while smart, really bored me at times. So District 9 wins.

Moon is boring and not as expansive. While I appreciated Moon's intricate plot, it just wasn't entertaining at all. It just seemed like someone was trying to remake an old sci-fi film. I guess that's why so many like it. Both of these are very intelligent films, but is it more fun to have you figure that out or have it shown to you?

Moon did amazing with it's tiny budget and Sam Rockwell could have won either best actor or best supporting actor. Right now I have Moon at 13 and D9 at 14. Very close though.

District 9