X-Men: First Class vs. Rise of the Planet of the Apes

8 comments

7 comments

Two of my favorite movies of the year. This is very tough... Gonna go with First Class.

X-Men First Class is still considered the best film of the entire summer of 2011 by most. Damn, Fox had a good year afterall. Both these films hit higher than expected and even though I found Rise of the Apes to be about average, that beats what I expcted. I also think BOTH films will be nominated for the FX Oscar with Apes winning it.

This is very tough, likely two of the best movies of the summer. I was so thoroughly impressed by Apes' storytelling though, I'll give that film its first point here.

JRM
JRM

The only thing about First Class that didn't blow me away was the side character's super powers. They seemed very uninspired and the team dynamic between them wasn't as impressive as X-2. It's still a great movie, but these little issues put it one step behind Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

I think these two movies represent the very best of their respective franchises. Since I'm a bigger fan of the Planet of the Apes franchise, I have to go with Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

Pretty tough, because both of these movies are very, VERY enjoyable, but have their flaws nonetheless. I think overall X-men First Class is more enjoyable.

This has most def have to be the hardest pick I've done. Both movies were huge surprises, but I have to go with X-Men: First Class.

I must be one of the only people who found X-Men: First Class to actually be the WORST film in the entire series so far (yes, worse than Wolverine). It was so dull. Rise of the Planet of the Apes was an emotional tour-de-force by comparison.

First Class has flaws but it's a worthy reboot/prequel to be sure. Apes was interesting but I found it to be highly overrated.

Two surprisingly solid entertainments that thankfully revived their respective franchises. I prefer First Class, but they're both very good.

i love RPA but x-men first class is better

i love RPA but x-men first class is better

First Class has Fassbender rockin' it as Magneto. But Rise has Serkis. It's close, but Rise is more emotionally resonant to me. The Apes take this by a hair.

They were both fantastic, but I gotta give the slight edge to Apes....

Both are over rated but still good over all i like x men better.

Easy choice -- Apes! I don't quite agree with mjcarruthers that First Class is the worst of the franchise, but I think it missed the mark enough that it's far from the best. I couldn't help but feel that the storytellers really missed the mark in First Class with Magneto -- I felt it would've been a much stronger film if Charles convinced Eric to stay on his side by the end of the film, giving a nice character arc for Eric in this film. Then a sequel could've been about Eric's turn to the dark side. It seemed like a more logical way to take it, especially because it would've had a built-in sequel. I was much more impressed with everything going on in Apes (except for Franco).

Two great films from 2011, Rise of the Planet of the Apes wins this.