Chappie vs. District 9

1 comments

3 comments

I really didn't care for District 9 so I had somewhat low expectations going into Chappie but I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. Easy to see why people have issues with it but I had a lot more fun with it than I thought would.

Like Elysium, there are bits and pieces of Chappie which serve as a reminder of just how good District 9 was/is. While Chappie improved on Elysium in that it at least retained a minimal amount of the edge that District 9 yielded so well, managed to occasionally come across as more heartfelt and containing some briefly superb action sequences at the beginning and end, the film is an absolute mess. Never mind the fact that, in terms of setting, narrative and vision, it is basically the same film as District 9, Chappie is a tonal mess with a host of one-dimensional characters either chewing up or fading into the scenery, half-baked Sci-Fi concepts which get thrown in at the last minute which come across as more hilarious than thought-provoking (a world controlled by robotic Yolandis!) and an infuriating reverence for Die Antwoord which makes Space Jam's treatment of Michael Jordan look positively artistic! District 9 had its problems: one-dimensional supporting characters, plot conveniences and hodge-podge references to other sci-fi films/genres (though personally I felt that the latter served it as a melting pot of inspiration moulded into a unique apartheid-flavoured image), but the film kept a distinct tone throughout and never took its foot off the gas, which amongst other things is why I still hold it as one of my favourite films of all time. Chappie demonstrated if Neill Blomkamp does have any new ideas left in him (and it's looking increasingly like he doesn't) he has very little idea on how to execute them without falling back on his debut. I was always doubtful about him being given the reigns of the next Alien film, and with both this and Elysium in mind, I am now positively dreading the concept. District 9 wins.

I much preferred District 9. Chappie was kind of a led down. Needs a re watch.

District 9 for sure. Chappie is fun, but District 9 is GREAT.