Toy Story vs. Monsters, Inc.

17 comments

6 comments

Of all the Pixar matchups I can think of, this one is probably the hardest. These two movies are in the middle of my list of Pixar's films, and it often which I prefer probably depends on my mood on that particular day. Usually, I think I tend to think of both Toy Stories as better than Monsters, but today, I would rather watch Monsters Inc....

I agree that this is hardest PIxar match-up, but for me it is because they are definitely my top 2, and have never been able to decide which I prefer. Probably Toy story for nostalgic reasons.

JRM
JRM

I HATE Pixar matchups. They're absolutely the hardest movies to compare to one another, with the exception of Cars -- which was still pretty damn good. I'm going with Monsters.

my brain just exploded.

Aaargh! Okay. Toy Story slows a bit inside Sid's house, but Monsters, Inc. stays at an insane pace for the entire film. I'll give it the edge on that and the bravura chase at the end. Damn, does Pixar know how to make movies.

The first Pixar wins

Only a handful of animated films can compete with Toy Story, and Monsters, Inc. isn't one of them.

What Caesar said....

Two of my favorites from Pixar, Toy Story wins.

Like JC13 said...MI is an awesome movie but just not what Toy Story is...TS is far more memorable

Monsters Inc! BOO!

I watched both of these films SO many times growing up! But I love Toy Story more.

Toy Story by far.

no contest Toy Story makes me feel like a kid again every time- a masterpiece.

Toy Story is my favorite animated film of all time.

Wow, hard choice. Toy Story and Monsters, Inc are the best Disney movies, in my opinion. Maybe Toy Story, but just because it's a bit older.

Love the 2, love the 13. Toy Story wins

I'm in the minority here, but yes, Monsters is my pick (not the better film).

Pixar, since their inception, has been fond of buddy comedies, and these two are the ones that started it all for them. That's not all the two share; watch Monsters University, MI's prequel, then try telling me the evolution of Mike and Sulley's friendship doesn't in many ways echo Woody and Buzz's in Toy Story. In all respects, however, Toy Story did it first and did it better. I know I'm way in the minority on this, but MI and MU are, to me, Pixar's least funny movies, a fact which holds MI back from being anywhere near Toy Story's league for me, and MU from besting a single other Pixar movie, ranking as my least favorite of their 16 releases thus far. There's also the nostalgia factor pulling heavily in Toy Story's favor. All in all, MI doesn't stand a chance here.

I prefer Toy Story 2 and 3 from the trilogy so far, so I would vote for Monsters Inc in this battle

Toy Story was my childhood (I was 10) but I don't remember watching it very often. Not even sure we owned it. I don't think I even saw 2 or 3 until this year. I watched all three in one day and had a blast. Monsters Inc I saw in theaters and I do really enjoy it. As for right here right now I think I'll take Toy Story.

Tie. Both were my favorite movies growing up!

Toy Story for sure

Toy Story! Woody beats Mike!

Monsters Inc. Toy Story is overrated as hell. It doesn't compete with Pixar's best. Monsters Inc is also significantly weaker than movies like The Incredibles or Toy Story 2, but it beats Toy Story by a lot. It's just as funny, while also managing to be more emotional. Mike and Sulley beat Woody and Buzz, at least in this movie. Toy Story was far from the emotionally complex franchise it would later become, and it just doesn't quite top Monsters inc.

Maybe it's because I never saw it as a child, but I kinda don't get why the first Toy Story is considered a classic; sure, it's good, perhaps even very good, but I think both 2 and 3 are better (haven't seen 4 as of yet). Monsters Inc. on the other hand has earned its reputation imho.