Toy Story vs. Beauty and the Beast

14 comments

10 comments

ooh, good one. Am I really in the minority choosing Beauty and the Beast?

JRM
JRM

I'm actually choosing Beauty and the Beast, as well.

Toy Story, all the way.

ear
ear

I love Beauty and the Beast and it is one of the only animated films that can beat Toy Story.

Beauty and the Beast is Disney at the top of it's game, Toy Story redefined animation, but that doesn't mean you discount how amazing Beauty and the Beast was & is.

toy story is better

I'm so on the fence with this, it's ridiculous.

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST. BEST PICTURE NOMINATION.

The Best Picture nom means little to me. How many others could or should have been nominated between Beauty and Up? The Lion King. Toy Story. Toy Story 2. Effing WALL·E. Screw the Academy. Animation is an art form, not a niche genre.

@johnmason Fuckin' A man! Christ! I despise people who snub animated movies bcause they believe they're just for kids. I can't believe that there are people who think that they're keeping a high moral character by skipping the latest Pixar movie when really they're missing out on one of the best films they'll see that year. Anyway, as far as this matchup goes, I'm picking Toy Story. Granted, it's been a while since I've seen both films, but I think Toy Story is more memorable, and it had a greater impact on my childhood then Beauty and the Beast did.

Beauty and the Beast typifies the best and worst of Disney pre-Pixar. The imagination and creative genius that concieved of (for instance) the opening sequence - a story told in stained glass - is under-cut by the over broad characters and schmaltzy writing. Toy Story has the same imaginative story telling genius freed from the hacky machine Disney had become. Buzz and Woody all the way.

Beauty was a great movie and one of my faves when I was younger. But Toy Story was the first 3D animation movie I saw by Pixar and that movie is what started my love of Pixar and 3D animation.

johnmason, animation is no longer an art when it is done with CGI and computers. Beauty and the Beast was ART, back when people actually had to have artistic talent rather than computer smarts to make it.

I''d like to point out that 'computer smarts' IS a talent and also that artistic abilities are still required at the implementation and design stages. And now I'd like to say "snap" to 'flickme'.

I kind of envy those young enough to have grown up with these movies; it must have been a magical experience to see both of these for the first time with a child's eyes. I love them both but Toy Story is more memorable for me.

This isn't even close, Toy Story is way better

Well you know what ouchmy who the fuck cares. Well you've only made one comment so you obviously know nothing about movies. Where's your supporting evidence, oh you don't have any? Beauty and Beast has morales and classic story. Toy Story causes mental health issues, growing unhealthy attachment to toys. And those mutants scared the hell out of the bully.

Cleckley is absolutely right. It is not enough to know how to use a computer to create an animated movie. You have to have the artistic talent. Traditional animation and CGI animation are not even such different talents as they might seem to be. Even CGI characters start as a hand-drawn sketch. And as a sculpted maquette. It takes many different talents to create any of these movies; in a sense, the computers just add another layer. To say that Toy Story, or any of Pixar's films, are not "art" is...just incorrect. BTW, I've finally decided I prefer Beauty here. Just.

Beast is my favorite Disney movie, but Toy Story is my favorite animated film of all time.

both were great but toy story was so original and I wont even get started on what a giant step for computer animation it was at the time. Hell that was 1995 and I would still say it holds its own against any animated movie today except for Wall e maybe in terms of graphic wise.

Don't get me wrong, I love Beauty and the Beast to death, but I like Toy Story just a wee bit more...

Beauty And The Beast stands out more for me. Can't explain why, although I haven't seen the original Toy Story in years. Going with Belle & Co. here.

Revising previous thoughts. Both are absolute masterpieces, but Beauty and the Beast has to be my favorite (non-Pixar) Disney film. Also, it features the single greatest lyrical song ever written: Be Our Guest.

Toy. Story. The Beast needs to bow down....

Toy Story DEFINITELY! Pixar's Toy Story trilogy cannot be touched by any animation movie to me

Good question; I watched Beauty and the Beast more than Toy Story as a kid, but in my teenage years I'd have watched Toy Story long before watching any of the 2D Disney movies (they fell out of favour for a while during this time period). Nowadays, I really don't know. BatB is probably the more interesting movie thematically, with ambition, personality, prejudice, Stockholm Syndrome, and of course love thrown into the mix, whereas Toy Story was, for the most part, a charming, witty but simple tale of jealousy. Also the animation on Toy Story, while pioneering, is pretty dated, whereas Beauty and the Beast will always be a handsome film, so for those reasons I'll probably give a slight inclination towards Beauty and the Beast

Love them both, but I don't necessarily think of Toy Story as a cartoon, don't know why, just don't, so Toy Story takes it. Rex is my favorite character, but I do think that Tom Hanks and Tim Allen were a stellar choice for the leads.

to infinity and beyond