Prisoners vs. Arrival

4 comments

5 comments

Surprised to see no comments. Both great Villeneuve films but I'm definitely going Arrival here.

There are no comments here?? From what I've seen so far, Villeneuve is pretty amazing. Both of these are light years ahead of Sicario, but even that movie LOOKS fantastic. Arrival has the edge with me in this matchup, if ONLY because it's sci-fi. These are both top-notch films in their respective genres.

Prisoners was harrowing as hell. Arrival wins for me.

Prisoners for me. Definitely one of Villeneuve's best films. I'm surprised people like Arrival so much. It was good but I never considered it one of his best.

ear
ear

I'm with Wade 92 and prefer Prisoners. I like Arrival but it lacks believability on some levels.

Both are pretty flawed but still are worth your time. I guess Arrival just worked better as a cohesive movie!

Prisoners>Arrival

Prisoners easily,. the best Villenueve film but Arrival is still great for me.

My two favorite Villeneuve films, and both for different reasons. I love how fast-paced Prisoners is, and the atmosphere grips and haunts me, and the ending has one particular scene where I've almost never felt as tense as watching it. Arrival tackles a different approach. I love its slow-burn feel, and the ending packs a power-house punch like almost no other film. I love both movies, and they might end up switching in the future because they're so close to me, but for now I'll say the win by the slightest of margins goes to Arrival.

Both were great, but I gotta give the nod to Prisoners...