Sunshine vs. Slumdog Millionaire

2 comments

3 comments

The battle of the Boyle! Even with my love of (almost) all things science fiction, I think 'Slumdog Millionaire' is the better film.

I was never a big fan of SLUMDOG, and when my Mumbai-born film-student roommate told me how much he hated that film, that pretty much cemented my distain. That and the callous behind-the-scenes shenanigans. Just a completely mediocre film, and utterly hollow. Boyle's "let's remake another movie MORE INTENSE!!!!" style of filmmaking was better suited to the mashup of 2001, ALIEN and THE ABYSS that was SUNSHINE, a hugely enjoyable effects thriller with great imagery and oodles of tension. This choice, to me, is like choosing between a root canal and a chocolate bar.

Sunshine, Searle is awesome.

If we were comparing the first hour of both movies, Sunshine wins by a mile...unfortunately we're comparing the whole films so Slumdog wins.

It seems like it's not exactly "cool" to like Slumdog Millionaire after all the hype it got and that's why I put off watching it for so long, but when I finally did I was absolutely blown away. Sunshine is awesome too, but Slumdog is just amazing and I truly think it deserves all the praise it got and all the awards it won.