Simon of the Desert vs. Mystery Men

0 comments

2 comments

Proof that the Criterion tag doesn't always mean something. I'd rather watch Stiller and co. Satan didn't look so bad, though.

I have to contend with you on that. Bunuel was a genius and Simon of the Desert is an underrated gem, IMO. Haven't seen Mystery Men, but I just I had to say that.

It's cool. Different strokes, and all that. I like to think I'm a fairly intelligent guy. A guy who watches a lot of "dumb" movies, but fairly intelligent, nonetheless. But I just didn't get Simon. I mean, I get it. Religious satire, yadda yadda. But I wasn't laughing. I'd really hoped I'd like it. Religious satire is something I can totally get down with, but it just wasn't happening.

I get what you mean. You get the message, but it wasn't your thing. I just had to take the opportunity to pimp out Simon of the Desert. It's one of those movies that I never hear anyone talk about. And I personally found it to be pretty funny. The thing with the guy who prayed for his hand to be repaired, and then had it fixed by God just to later strike his son over the head on the way back home was really funny to me.