The Devil Wears Prada vs. Requiem for a Dream

7 comments

45 comments

obviously Requiem.

Uh uh. I'd go wit Devil Wears Prada. Requiem is for the...wacked out lol Only good when you're drunk or stoned.

I will typically choose whatever is up against Requiem based solely on how dirty I felt after watching Requiem. I haven't seen Le Diable jfkdlak Prada but I don't think Anne Hathaway could make me feel the way I felt after watching Requiem. "Ass to Ass"

Could there be 2 more opposite movies?

There are few movies that have elicited such a powerful emotion from me. Requiem hands down.

Joeygreen you took the words right out of my mouth!!

Haven't seen The Devil Wears Prada, but Requiem is certainly one of the finest films ever made. I remember trembling at the end with Lux Aterna playing. Such a powerful and important film.

As disturbingly amazing as Requiem is, I really don't think I could ever watch it again for the same reason that joeygreen stated; so Devil Wears Prada gets my vote.

You can watch Requiem only a few times during your lifetime, while you can watch Devil repeatedly, which is why it gets my vote.

What a great double feature!

Both are terrible movies. I vote "neither" for sheer principle.

Devil Wears Prada is mindless garbage. Requiem is a real film.

How is this even considered a close matchup? Requiem is a whole other league compared to Prada. I don't care if Prada is more rewatchable it pales in comparison as far as filmmaking goes.

No contest. Requiem.

Requiem For A Dream. Only a very good movie can elicit such emotions.

Are..Are you kidding me? why are we even talking about this. Requiem hands down!!! Devil wears prada is about a girl who has a mean boss thats all it is.

How can you even think Devil can compete with the juggernaut that is Requiem? Talk about incredible film making. Fluff or an intense movie with great acting and directing? Requiem all the way.

why is this even being debated?!

Requiem is an amazing film. Prada doesn't even come close.

No Contest - Devil Wears Prada.

My problem with ever ranking Requiem is because it was the most effective movie I've ever seen in my life... and it made me feel sick. Any movie with the power to affect someone like that should be regarded as a good, if not awesome, film. So do I enjoy watching Requiem? I plan on never watching it again. Could I deny it's prowess and mastery as a film? Heavens no!

Requiem. It shouldn't matter if you watch one film over the other more of if that film has a larger budget or bigger cast, it depends on what you personally favor. Although if anyone says that devil wears prada is better that Requiem they need to be locked away for violations against film.

I am one of the few who hated Requiem. Prada at least entertained me.

Ass to ass??? . .. ... Requiem... Without a doubt...

This is a weird match up? Requiem.

Requiem is one of the most difficult movies I've ever watched. I could watch Prada while napping.

Wow, I can't even imagine how people can hesitate on this. I mean, fair enough, Requiem is a very tough movie to watch, but that's also what makes it so good. Devil Wears Prada was fun, but I wouldn't say it's a good movie.

Wow. Before I clicked on this discussion I honestly thought everyone was going to be posting about how Requiem is clearly the superior film, but there are actually people who favor Prada...why? Because Requiem depressed or freaked them out? Doesn't that reaction to a film justify it being brilliant? While I didn't hate The Devil Wears Prada, it still is a materialistic popcorn movie. Where's the art? Requiem For a Dream is film. Devil Wears Prada is simply a movie.

The fact that this is up for debate disgusts me and serves to increase my hatred for the general public.

Requiem without question, it stays with you a lot longer than Prada ever will

I was shocked that I enjoyed Devil, but it is too light in subject matter when compared with Dream.

Requiem, it should be shown to all high school kids to illustrate what substance abuse really looks like. I found it intense but working as a detox nurse i found it very, very real.

This discussion is like comparing a bunny rabbit to a rottweiler. Requiem, hands down.

This is an absurd matchup. DEVIL wasn't anywhere near as poor or insipid as many may have assumed it would be. It was frothy fun with an incredibly likable cast. But it wasn't anything special. REQUIEM may be bleak and super-depressing, but it's a powerful, phenomenal film with fascinating filmmaking in form, style and content. Like the last comment implied, Rottweiler Requiem rips appart the bunny rabbit DEVIL.

Requiem for me. Prada doesn't come close.

One would have to be completely bonkers or my wife (there honestly isn't much of a difference) to think that The Devil Wears Prada is even in the same league as Requiem For a Dream. It's the Flickchart equivalent to a boxing match between Mike Tyson in his prime and Cookie from the Bozo Show. Mikes going to end up with clown paint smeared all over his gloves.

Requiem, for me, enthralled me, envoked so much emotion, and was incredible from a cinematography standpoint. Plus, the acting was top notch. I had little interest in the chick flick that was Devil Wears Prada. Requiem wins this battle for me hands down.

definately requiem

RFAD. Obviously.

Not up for debate. Requiem for a Dream has some of the greatest sequences in cinema. It's so utterly tragic that choosing a movie like Prada over it is like choosing Scary Movie over Schindler's List.

Not up for debate. Requiem for a Dream has some of the greatest sequences in cinema.

...Wierdest comparison ever? Yes, very much. Requiem is far better, though.

Requiem for a Dream blows any film in history out of the water. Everything about it is perfect, from the cinematography to the acting to the mise-en-scene and to the plot and narrative itself. Everything comes together perfectly to create the most memorable movie of all time that will without a doubt stick with anyone that watches it, very few films ever accomplish this. The Devil Wears Prada doesnt even stand a chance.

It's hilarious that there's even a discussion on "The Devil Wears Prada" (2006), evidently some Hollywood garbage, vs. "Requiem for a Dream" (2000), one of the greatest movies ever made.

Requiem for a Dream was an emotional journey through 4 drug addicts' lifes. Mery Streep *excuse me* Devil wears Prada was... well it was just another crap movie. Requiem was onne of the most fantastic films I've seen to date. It's one that you won't be watching over and over, but when you do, you will love it.

I have seen Reguiem only once, because it is one of my brothers favorite movies, but did nothing for me. While the Devil Wears Prada has a stupid conclusion and a happy ever after ending, the movie as a whole and the actors are amazing and work well together. I would watch Devil Wear Prada for a whole year then ever watch a refrigerator shake and a drug addicted family.

How can there be any discussion about this??? Ofcourse requim! Yes I agree with most, it's the most depressing movie i've ever seen, I don't know if I ever will be in the mood to see it again.....isn't that the best reason there is to vote for this one. How many movies have you seen that made you feel this terrible? I couldn''t speak for a half hou after watching the movie, just sat there with my mouth open! This movie is one in a million!! Come on..

Devil Wears Prada is trite populist garbage. Everything that is wrong with Hollywood. Requiem on the other hand, is a masterpiece in comparison.

A strange juxtoposition but aren't 80% of the comparissions one makes at this site? Aronofsky has created a story of epic proportions out of the addiction arcs of 4 run of the mill junkies. Complete with sense memories, masterful performances and heartbraking denouement. A directorial virtuoso performance. Prada is better than it should be; saved from trivia hell by performances from Streep and Hathaway that one doesn't see often in such popcorn fare. Requiem for a Dream it is.

...I'm trying to understand the comparison as well. Great performances in both. The right amount of reality + exaggeration. Lifestyle addictions: drugs versus fashion. I like both for different reasons though there is an obvious winner in my book because I can always watch it; not simply when I'm in the mood.

I would definitely pick Requiem for a Dream.

I would definitely pick Requiem for a Dream.

In my opinion this comparison is pointless... The Devil Wears Prada is just nice weekend entertainment, while Requiem for a Dream is an emotional and an eye opening movie.

No contest. So why is this one of the most discussed match-ups? is it because users are leaving pointless comments like "No contest. So why is this one of the most discussed match-ups? is it because users are leaving pointless comments like "No contest. So why is this one of the most discussed match-ups? is it because users are leaving pointless comments like "No contest. So why is this one of the most discussed match-ups? is it because users are leaving pointless comments like "No contest. So why is this one of the most discussed match-ups? is it because users are leaving pointless comments like "No contest. So why is this one of the most discussed match-ups? is it because users are leaving pointless comments like "No contest. So why is this one of the most discussed match-ups? is it because users are leaving pointless comments like "..... OH NO U DI'N'T, VICIOUS CIRCULAR FUCKING.

I don't understand how this match-up got 59 comments. Anyway, I haven't seen either one.

Requiem for a Dream,no doubt about it. It could win just for the scene where Jennifer Connelly and Jared Leto just lie there looking at each other.

Requiem for a Dream,no doubt about it. It could win just for the scene where Jennifer Connelly and Jared Leto just lie there looking at each other.

ear
ear

Prada who?

ear
ear

I don't care who wears it, Requiem deserves better competition from a link with so many mute comments.

I liked both, only so much. The Devil Wears Prada is decent because there's not much to it, so it can't be bad, and also has Meryl Streep... And Requiem For A Dream is good because it's so powerful. I didn't like it that much, but I guess it wins this one.

Requiem is one of those great movies that is really hard to sit through. I don't really have the desire to ever watch it again but it certainly beats The Devil Wears Prada.

Requiem is amazing. I could watch it over and over again. While some people may not be able to watch it more than once, they will never forget it, which makes it a brilliant film. What happened in Devil Wears Prada again.......

I truly enjoy The Devil Wears Prada more. Sue me.

JRM
JRM

I haven't seen either yet, but LOL @ all the comments on these two completely opposite movies (unless they actually have something in common than what meets the eye, being that I haven't seen them yet). Anyway, all this talk of Requiem has me wanting to see it. I'll check it out when I get a chance. Devil Wears Prada? Well. . . for the sole purpose of coming back here, I may check it out too.

JRM
JRM

I haven't seen either yet, but LOL @ all the comments on these two completely opposite movies (unless they actually have something in common than what meets the eye, being that I haven't seen them yet). Anyway, all this talk of Requiem has me wanting to see it. I'll check it out when I get a chance. Devil Wears Prada? Well. . . for the sole purpose of coming back here, I may check it out too.

Just because a movie depresses you and makes you feel like shit doesn't make it a good movie, people! That's why my vote's for the uplifting charmer 'Requiem' - 'Prada' is just too realistic and depressing! ...Seriously, though, whoever said 'Requiem' blew every other film ever made out of the water needs to finish his Social Studies homework and graduate. Sure, it's memorable and grotesque, the camerawork and editing are fantastic, and it's sure as hell better than 'Prada,' but there are plenty of films just as powerful that aren't as exploitative as this one is.

Prada was an entertaining bit of fluff, I might re-watch only if forced. Forgettable. REQUIEM is one of only five movies which I have purchased, because of the visceral reaction it creates. It really makes you feel, deeply, for the characters. This was a silly pairing, and I cannot imagine, for the life of me, why Prada deserves this matchup, and how on earth someone could choose Prada???!!!

Who the hell watches Devil Wears Prada over and over again? Requiem is special and if this were a street fight DWP would end up in the morgue.

Seb
Seb

Why has this match up been so popular?!

Requiem takes the nod in perhaps the most bizarrely contested match up on Flickchart....

How is this a debate?!?!?! Requiem wins easily.

What?! How can anyone discuss this. Obviously The Devil Wears Prada is one of the best movies of history and far superior than Requiem for a Dream.(sarcasm, obviously)

Interesting development on flickchart here (which seems to have been dead for half a year now so I'll resurrect it briefly). Yeah, while The Devil Wears Prada isn't a terrible movie (not even that bad actually), I can hardly call it good. Requiem for a Dream was draining as hell, but an impressive film to say the least. No contest.

I would like to chose a feel good movie over something that's Dark, But in this case I'm going with Requiem.

I seem to find a running theme that people vote against Requiem because they felt, "dirty", "Bad" or drained after watching it. I am pretty sure that was what you were supposed to feel. I love that it can bring out that strong of an emotional response. I don't think I will EVER watch requiem for a dream again. But you cannot deny that it is a Powerful movie. I found the acting to be top notch, the director did an excellent job, the story was great. the only problem is that after watching it you are not left with a happy go lucky feeling. Complaining about this is like saying you hate an actor because they did a great job playing a character you hated. You are supposed to hate the character, and you are suppose to feel "dirty" or "bad" and you are definitely supposed to feel drained after this movie.