2 comments

25 comments

Now, here's a pair of movies where the directors were given a mega-budget and told, "Go ahead, do whatever the hell you want." But Inception was far more successful than Avatar. Don't get me wrong; I really quite like Avatar. But aside from the astounding visuals (and the 3-D gimmick that not even this movie could sell me on), it didn't have a lot new to bring to the table. Inception is a really, truly original piece of work, and unlike Avatar, its long running time just flies by. I wish I could have the old James Cameron back, circa the late '80s-early '90s, before he became the King of the World, was trailblazing the way for films like this, and was making some of the best damn films of all time. Right now, Christopher Nolan is at the frikkin' top of his game, and I'm worried that Cameron's going to get lost on Pandora.

JRM
JRM

I really like Avatar; it succeeded in what it set out to do: create an immersive world that people will come back to again and again. This was a movie that was so successful because of word of mouth and repeat business. I actually saw it twice in theaters, in 3D. Having said that, you're right, @johnmason--besides its visuals it really doesn't have much going for it. It's a grand spectacle for sure, but it lacks surprise because its story has been told in numerous ways multiple times. Inception is story telling at its finest, imho. And it's awe-inspiring because of it. A truly great movie.

Avatar's story is not very original but I found it very enjoyable. That being said Inception was the best movie I've seen in quite some time, It blew me away I may. I can't wait to see it again and see if it gets better after multiple viewings.

ear
ear

Inception is the best movie of 2110 so far. I'm not ready to say it is better than Avatar yet.

Fantastic and creative visual effects with a great story>Fantastic and creative visual effects

Inception. Clearly. And I don't even like it that much.

Yep, Avatar can pretty much go and fuck itself.

guys stop hating! Avatar isn't a bad movie... well, it's not a good movie, but it certinly isn't bad. Inception is way better

So difficult...but inception was better thought out^^

Definitely Inception.

Inception, no contest.

Inception is just too much for Avatar. 12-0!

Make it 14-0, Avatar will never measure up...JUST NEVER!!

Make it 15-0 or possibly 16-0 (I am assuming that Willie was voting for Inception)

I think Flickchart history is being broken... 16-0

Hell, I like Avatar, but the shutout continues...

19-0. At this rate, Inception is gonna beat The Undertaker!

20-0

Inception over the dumb CGI fest...Inception is a deep and layered film with many thought provoking story elements whereas Avatar is just CGI and dullness

18-0

inception makes avatar look like a baby that wants to fight god

the streak continues

In 2009, no one world e given Avatar such hate! Despite this, I am so happy it is. While not the best film ever made, it was surely far too overhyped and is far weaker than Inception.

I respect Avater for its visual effects and story but Im not a fan but I love Inception from its scifi story to its acting it blew me away its the clear winner.

Another check mark with Inception....

I prefer avatar inception was alright

inception was far more complex, suspenseful, and etc. etc.

If you don't like Avatar than you don't like Inception.

ear
ear

Inception over the overrated Avatar