8 comments

4 comments

Can I just put both in the crap-bucket, please?

It's sad that Avatar wins this match-up. After the first two Spiderman movies this one should have been so much better.... and so less emo.

Avatar isn't a bad movie. I think that generally, people tend to overreact to the film. It certainly has issues but I think there's plenty there to keep it from coming anywhere near "worst movie ever" status. Spider-man 3 is treated similarly, although I think it is considerably worse than Avatar.

I had the fortune of seeing Avatar before all the hype and box-office dollars were accrued. I also had somehow missed seeing a theatrical trailer for it. I walked into the theater with zero expectations and was blown away. The story is admittedly nothing new, but Cameron makes up for it by delivering audiences into a brand new cinematic landscape that truly took my breath away. Is it the greatest movie of all time? No. But I do think that it (along with Peter Jackson's three Lord of the Rings movies and The Dark Knight) are the defining blockbusters of the past decade. Spider-Man 3 could have been just as good but it tragically fell much shorter than mine and a lot of other people's expectations. Spider-Man 2 is one of the greatest of all superhero movies and I felt that Sam Raimi had it in him to deliver an equal or greater follow-up. He did not. Spider-Man 3 is a cluttered mess of the movie. Not only are there too many villains, but there are also superfluous new characters (Gwen Stacy), ridiculous subplots (Mary Jane's Broadway career), and poor character development for its three leads. I would have still welcomed a Spider-Man 4, but after seeing The Amazing Spider-Man I'm glad the franchise started over.

Dancing emo Peter Parker? Easy choice.

Like JRyneChattanooga, I feel there was so much stuff in Spider-Man 3 that just didn't need to be there. I'll take Avatar.

Avatar flat out sucks as a movie when you take away the visuals. Spider-Man 3 is flawed but more entertaining.

avatar. overrated or not it still kills spider-man 3

Well, at least I remember SM3...

ear
ear

Avatar over Spider-Man emo over kill.