17 comments

23 comments

The two most-nominated Oscar films, and favorites for Best Picture. I gotta say, I do think The Hurt Locker is probably more deserving of the Oscar; it really was very good. But Avatar is more my kind of movie (I adore sci-fi), and will thus rank higher on my Flickchart. (And, as far as Best Picture Oscar nominees go, I think Up and District 9 are better than both of these.)

The Hurt Locker has my vote, without a doubt. Avatar does not even deserve to be nominated.

Hurt Locker, no question.

Unrelated thought: Inglourious Basterds should win!

Avatar is pretty good, but it is definitely not on the same lever as The Hurt Locker

The Hurt Locker deserved to win! It's ten times the better film. Avatar was ALL spectacle and NO substance. In fact, the story in Avatar boarders on the idiotic. I made the mistake of watching Avatar in 2D. So, the spectacle was almost lost on me. All that was left was one poorly written film.

JRM
JRM

The Hurt Locker. Though I did love the mind-boggling experience that was Avatar.

Despite all the technological wizardy and visual spectacle put into making Avatar as immersive as possible, I found Hurt Locker to be far more engrossing. Also it's just a better movie on pretty much every level.

Avatar is a visual spectacle and little more and so I choose The Hurt Locker, and every other Best Picture Nominee I have seen, over it. It may very well be revolutionary, but I have a greater interest in the end result of this revolution rather than what kicked it off.

JRM
JRM

Going back to Avatar. Lol. I'm aware of the fact that it's more of a visual experience than a masterpiece in storytelling, but there isn't a moment in that film I didn't enjoy.

Swear to God, if I hear one more person say that Avatar deserved the Oscar more than Hurt Locker, I'm gonna punch that person in the throat.

The Hurt Locker is SEVERELY overrated.

jmuncy, you may be right, but it's still better than avatar.

Can't I vote for Inglorious???

Avatar deserved the Oscar. I was waiting for it to the win the Oscar and then they gave to it to The Hurt Locker to promote it so they make money off both movies. It is all a scam. SO SHUT UP MickeyBreamar. And Cleckley NO YOU CAN'T, Inglorious Bastards was the most boring movie of all time. I make sure it is on the bottom of list at all times.

AVATAR is much much much much better than THE HURT LOCKER.

of course my vote goes to avatar

avatar deserve best picture , its better by lot

I've heard people complain that Avatar should have won the Academy Award for Best Picture because it was better than The Hurt Locker. well, I disagree, The Hurt Locker deserved the win over Avatar, even if it wasn't the best movie of 2009.

I think the reason why people like Avatar over The Hurt Locker so much is the fact that they're too lazy to know what a good engrossing story is. Man meets tribe and wants to protect them, I mean, come on. We've seen that countless times before. Now on the other hand a group of EOD's in Iraq that are always under a horrendous amount of tension and peril that they could die at any one second...Yeah, try finding me a film that mimics *that* storyline. I did enjoy Avatar because of the visual effects or whatnot but that's really about it. Hurt Locker had a great story, great characters, and such high building tension that I felt as if I was with these EOD's for their entire journey. I would say that the experience of experiencing a good story and coming out feeling changed, etc. is a greater spectacle than just watching a film with a bunch of blue aliens with tails and expensive visual effects in 3D dancing before your eyes. You don't feel anything after watching that. And disregard the user (altra_n) for spamming the Avatar side, it doesn't deserve it. The Hurt Locker wins.

Seb
Seb

R u kidding, the hurt locker blows avatar out of the water. What idiot would vote avatar over hurt locker?!

I don't think either of them are all that, especially compared to some other films in 2009 (Moon, Inglourious, Imaginarium etc,) but I certainly enjoyed the well built tension in the Hurt Locker, more than any particular element of Avatar. So Hurt Locker for me.

Both good. I was slightly disappointed in both. Those of you who worship The Hurt Locker, please watch Green Zone.

I'd take The Bourne Ultimatum over The Hurt Locker. But Green Zone? Nah.

Oh yeah, and I'd pick The Hurt Locker over Avatar. I haven't joined the Avatar-Hate-Train and I don't think I ever will. It's not deep. We've seen that story before. But it WAS a hell of an experience and it DOES look beautiful. Film's a visual medium and Avatar's visuals blew me away. Still, I'll take the experience I had watching THL over the visuals of Avatar. Talk about thrilling. Renner's awesome and I don't think Mackie (or Geraghty, for that matter) ever gets enough credit. The only beef I have with Hurt Locker is its ending. It was a bit too in-your-face. I would have ended it with James in the commissary.

Both were great, but The Hurt Locker is just too damn good. Avatar was one of my favorite "theater" experiences of all time, but when they are both on cable...I find myself watching The Hurt Locker, not Avatar.

I used to say Avatar was the best of the two and deserved best picture.....until I watched The Hurt Locker. The Hurt Locker wins this.

Unless it's 2001 A Space Odyssey, I'm always taking the movie with the engrossing story over the engrossing visuals. The Hurt Locker wow'd me in more than one way and still holds up to repeated viewings. Don't get me wrong: I would like to see Avatar again in the future but it's currently quite low on my list to re-watch.

I enjoyed Avatar a lot when I saw it on the big screen, but it loses a lot of its magic when its viewed on television. I'm going with The Hurt Locker.

Damn, I really wish we had the ability to edit our comments; particularly since one's opinion of a movie can often change from viewing to viewing. I've found The Hurt Locker doesn't hold up very well for me upon repeated viewings. It's certainly still good but, when you know what's coming, it's just not as intense a viewing experience. I think I have to give the edge now to Avatar.

I liked Renner a lot, but I felt the story was lacking as was the pacing and the tone in HURT. Giving it to Jim Cameron for his achievement in technicals alone.

I liked The Hurt Locker well enough on its own merits, but in comparison to Avatar, there is no question. Avatar is the sorriest excuse I have seen for a blockbuster yet. I'd rather watch Stallone's Judge Dredd twice in a row.

I would watch Saturday morning cartoons if I wanted to see some Smurfs.

So glad that Hurt Locker beat Avatar for Best Picture, Avatar is way to flashy which is why I prefer The Hurt Locker.

The Hurt Locker winning the Academy Award for best picture was such a retarded decision. So overrated that it's not even funny. I blame Americans' sensitiveness with such films. Same reason why Argo won this year's award. Ridiculous. Avatar was clearly better.

I agree... Avatar wins

The 2 best films of 2009 with Avatar being my favorite for it's visuals and the Hurt Locker that once again captures the point of view of war.

Avatar should've won best picture against The Hurt Locker

Avatar is so overrated. The Hurt Locker is raw and real.

The Hurt Locker

The Hurt Locker is 10 times better, Avatar is pure garbage.