Gladiator vs. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

3 comments

19 comments

Ugh, I feel llike a traitor even thinking about voting against LOTR, but I have to go with Gladiator :-/. This is hard.

JRM
JRM

If this were about Gladiator vs Two Towers or Return of the King, I'd go for the latter. Gotta go for Gladiator on this one, though.

Collectively, LOTR is my favorite film. I would consider voting Gladiator over The Two Towers (and, in fact, I probably have), but The Fellowship of the Ring rightly places at #1 on my Flickchart.

Meh, Gladiator isn't that good.

Whenever I look up the word "epic" in a dictionary, I see a picture of Russel Crowe standing with a sword in his hand.

Gladiator was very good, but let's keep things in perspective here. As good as Gladiator was, at the end of the day, it's basically a revenge flick, albeit an incredible revenge flick, but a revenge flick nonetheless. FOTR, on the other hand, is the first installment of the best trilogy of all time in my opinion. FOTR successfully lays a solid foundation for the epic trilogy to stand on. The shots of Middle Earth are jaw-dropping, and the saga itself is near perfection. FOTR for me with no hesitation.

Fellowship gets the win over Maximus Decimus Meridius.

Gladiator is one of the few movies that can topple the Fellowship....

Fellowship. I just simply find it the better paced film. Has better action, much better music, greater characters and story (thanks to Tolkien) and I honestly think its a better directed film. Viggo Mortensen over Russel Crowe. In fact, Russel Crowe was originally one of the people that Jackson wanted to have in LoTR and he would've played Aragorn if he was....

Fellowship. It's been a while since I've seen Gladiator, but I highly doubt it will ever surpass LOTR.

Interesting choice, I love Gladiator but I'm leaning towards The Lord of the Rings here

The Fellowship crushes Maximus with ease. But I'd probably appreciate Gladiator more if I re-watched. It'll never beat Lord of the Rings but it could come closer to doing so.

Fellowship. Gladiator is overrated... a bit boring at parts. But Fellowship is amazing from start to finish and in my Top 10.

I agree, Gladiator ain't got shit on The Lord of the Rings.

all LOTR films are better than Gladiator some are close this is not!

FOTR beat Gladiator

Two really fun movies but I'll go with Frodo over Maximus.

Every Lord of the Rings film is ahead of Gladiator by a country mile. Let alone the best fantasy film ever made.

Gladiator wins. Maximus is a great legend.

Fellowship > Gladiator.

4-25 Fellowship.

Lord of the Rings.

Gladiator is an overrated piece of shit. LOTR is far, far better. Crowe's best is LA confidential by far, that would be a better matchup vs LOTR