The Godfather vs. Scarface

45 comments

21 comments

I can't believe no one commented on this matchup yet. OK, I'll go first. The Godfather is the best of the two, because of everything. It may not be as explicit as Scarface, but it doesn't need to be. All in all, it's a superior movie.

Although I love Scarface, Godfather is an instant classic

Crime wave showdown. Still had to take the Godfaddah.

Yeah, the choice essentially comes down to picking The GF while saying insisting Scarface is a close second, but still, second.

My leedle friend will make you an offer you can't refuse. And he's Al Pacino. Are you kidding me? GODFATHER, of course.

you can count the number of movies that are better then the godfather on one hand.

Agree with the comment above me. And of those movies that can be counted on one hand, Scarface is not one of them.

The Godfather is way above in terms of screenplay, cinematography, acting, film score and story. It's sequel is even better than Scarface. The Godfather's themes are even better, family, loyalty, power and relationships. Aside from the numerous awards and cultural/movie impact, the novel based film wins. It's always included in the top 10/5 greatest films of all time lists in various sites/AFI. Tony Montana needs a gun to make an impact, Michael or Vito Corleone just needs to give the order ;-)

The Godfather may be a classic, but whats the point of that if its so hard to get into? I love the acting of Al Pacino in Scarface. I cant believe no one has voted for it.

Both are Excellent masterpieces, they literally take the 3rd and 2nd places on my Flick chart.

While both are good, I think they are both overrated (especially Scarface). Like someone said above, The Godfather is hard to get into. On the other hand, Scarface isn't even the best film named Scarface. If I had the time, I would rather watch The Godfather again.

Does not make sense to me that The Godfather might be considered hard to get into. It pretty much grabs you from the first scene and it's not exactly slow. Anyway... FLICKCHART PROPRIETORS, PLZ HEED MY WORDS: We need a new addition to the filtering systems, something with a greater degree of sensitivity that allows for better organising and calibration of our lists. Someone needs to add this: Rank Movies > Your Movies > Manual Selection (this should allow us to rank a specific section of our lists eg 200 - 300, 650 - 700 etc). Rather than have that kind of filtering sensitivity solely for our Top 20, 50, 100 & 250 we should have it for any part of our charts we like. Maybe that'll only be used by a few harcore flickers that really want to get things in order, but damned if it wouldn't be an absolutely massive boost to flicking efficiency. I can't imagine that it'd be too hard a feature to code in. Seriously, who do I need to contact?

@Cleckley This has been suggested in the past, and it's one of those things that are being worked on as far as I know. Flickchart is run pretty much by just two guys who have a pile of things that they'd like to do eventually. Your words have been echoing in the halls of Flickchart for a while and at some point they will be heeded.

Use the "Feedback" button on the right side. That's a great idea, by the way. And since I'm here, I might as well comment on the match-up. Godfather, all the way. Scarface is fun and all, but I've never understood where it gets its 4-star, greatest-of-all-time reputation. The Godfather's got the better Pacino performance - one where he's not constantly screaming and swearing, it's the better crime film, and dammit, it's just the better film. Michael's fall is more compelling stuff than Tony's rise.

He doesn't really have to suggest it again. Trust me, the idea has already been suggested and discussed by other users numerous times.

Oh, I believe you. I wrote my response before yours was posted, so I hadn't seen yours when I'd put mine up.

Ahhh, OK. Oh, and maybe part of the reason so many people like Scarface is because Pacino is "constantly screaming and swearing". That's part of the film's appeal, the over-the-top-ness.

It's definitely a fun movie, swearing, screaming, and all. I enjoy the movie's excesses, I just don't think it makes for a better movie. I'll take "silent, but deadly" Pacino over Tony Montana, any day.

@You Dudes Yeah, I ended up using there emails on the 'FAQ' and on the 'Contact' page a little after I posted my last comment (don't see a 'Feedback' button though... weird). Where was I while these life changing dicussions were taking place? In all seriousness, most of my rankings are done quite leisurely and I've only really, really wanted get my list in a tight order for a few weeks now (happened when I noticed a few Sandra Bullock movies doing uncharacteristically well on my chart). Naturally, the lack of a manual filtering system seemed like a strangely obvious (and pisstaking) oversight. Guess I'm not surprised it's been floating through the dark undercurrent of flickchart, but I thought I'd mention it (and post it to Zampa's and Prophasi's pages... and email them... and generally spam the shit out of all society) just in case. What are some of the other ideas floating around and how and where can I be privy to this undisclosed info? Wikileaks? Or are there flickchart assassins that are keeping you from saying more? Will we have a 'Chickchart' in the vain of The Social Network? Will there be cake?

I've seen The Godfather a few times, but it's been so long that I can't really evaluate it fairly. Scarface is so different, though, that there's room for people to prefer it over Godfather. They are both gangster flicks, but that's about all you can really say. Scarface is the trashy, wild gangster flick. Despite all the talk about themes and quality of filmmaking in regards to The Godfather, those comparisons are not likely what's going through the minds of most fans of Scarface when they watch it. I can understand people preferring either one. Now I have to set aside an afternoon to rewatch The Godfather.

@Cleckley Do you really want to be privy to the darkest secrets of Flickchart's inner workings?

That's a good point and one I hadn't really thought of. Themes probably don't come up in discussion when the subject is Scarface and the two movies are MOST DEFINITELY different enough that a better comparison could be made between Scarface and, say, Police Story. People probably love Scarface for the very same reason I love Chan's stuff - entertainment value. And if Police Story can be a 4-star movie within the circles it is discussed, then I suppose Scarface can be one too. And you know what, I don't know about Cleckely, but I know I want to be privy to this place's darkest secrets. What's the inside info? How filthy are you guys, REALLY? Sex, drugs, and cake? Is that what's going on behind closed doors?

Goddamn error. I did it again. Jesus Fucking Christ. "Their" you moron, "their". NOT "there". Is self-loathing ever more potent than when the realisation you write like a four year old hits you?

Ahh, strange freeze out. It's all good, I'm back in. @KingOfPain Hell yeah! I want total access. Is there an initiation? Because I don't like hazing. @ToryK It's funny, but I rarely hear people describe The Godfather in the way you just described 'Scarface' and Jackie Chan's movies. For me 'The Godfather' drips with pure entertainment value. I wince a little when people perceive and talk about a massive disconnect between "good film-making" and "entertainment value". Sure, technically well made films can potentially be boring (and vice-versa), but isn't the basic point/purpose of good film making actually entertainment value?

If you guys want to have access to the nitty gritty discussions regarding Flickchart, there's a Facebook group called Flickcharters. You need to request an invite to get in, but there's no virgin sacrifice ceremony or anything. If you hate Facebook (like me) you can just make up a Facebook account to use as your exclusive Flickcharters identity. Just let Nathan know what your account name is so he'll let you in. A lot of the stuff they talk about is site related, so you'll be able to offer up any of your suggestions freely.

@Cleckley - Yeah, it is. Well, actually, that depends on who you ask. I swear to God, some people love some of the most boring movies known to man simply because they are well-made. I guess when people speak of "entertainment value" they're referring to some sort of excess. Something can be funny or exciting, but entertainment value is rarely brought up in discussion if the movie is a dry one. I find Raging Bull entertaining, but if someone asked me to make a list of movies with the most entertainment value, I doubt Raging Bull would be at the top of the list. It's one of my favorites, but it plays it straight. The Godfather does the same. They're both awesome movies, but they don't have any of the excess that something like Scarface, a Shane Black movie, or Drunken Master has. God, now I'm not sure if I'm making any sense. I guess, in retrospect, that I probably shouldn't have put such a divide between the two movies (GF and Scarface), but I think that's why I used the phrase the way I did. I mean, don't get the wrong idea. I definitely find The Godfather entertaining. But yeah, excess.

@KingofPain - I'll look into it, for sure.

@K Facebook eh? Maybe it's time to finally bite the bullet and formally sign up. @T I get what you mean, about people claiming to like boring films at least. Speaking of Shane Black, just found out he's the guy for Iron Man 3. Damn, how sick could that be? And speaking of excess, have you seen Black Dynamite with Michael Jai White? Had a couple of people recommend it to me and it sounds like a flick I could enjoy immensely. Based on the synopsis, I figure you might like it very much (probably you too KoP).

I have very high hopes for Iron Man 3. Black's co-writing it, but to what extent, they haven't said. If Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang is any indication of what he can do when he's in control, then I think it's going to be a hell of a movie. And yeah, I've seen Black Dynamite. It's pretty damn good, actually. There were definitely a few laugh-out-loud moments. I've always liked White, but he surprised me.

The better movie? No doubt it's the Godfather. The movie I would watch if I was stuck on an island? Scarface. Love both...but if I could only choose one...

The Godfather wins by a landslide. Better cinematography, acting and plot. Al Pacino plays a better performance and upstages Marlon Brando's Vito Corleone.

I agree with you there, but you almost never here anyone else say that. I don't watch the first Godfather for Brando's performance. Brando's performance is a great one, but I watch it because of Pacino. Michael's the guy I'm fascinated by.

The transformation from the innocent little guy to the Don of the Family is amazing.

I thought Marlon was pretty amazing but you do bring up a point. De Niro even had a better performance than Brando.

Exactly. Marlon Brando was amazing, but he just couldn't beat Al Pacino's level.

Al Pacino was amazing and The Godfather is tonnes better than Scarface.

Al Pacino is too good. But The Godfather was his best role. And besides It is also a better movie.

I don't understand how people say Godfather and a lot of other certain films are hard to get into. Godfather had me at the first shot. Scarface is good, Godfather is amazing.

The Godfather has an atmosphere to it that will not be touched by any other movie. Scarface can only be considered the uglier sister at best.

Al Pacino is great in Scarface, but the movie itself is merely good. The Godfather, on the other hand, is legendary.

I gotta go with Scarface. My favorite Pacino's movie.

Definitely The Godfather.

Scarface all the way!

HAHAHA...

This is laughable. And Scarface is enjoyable.

It is extremely close, but The Godfather prevails.

Two of the best performances in cinema history and that is Brando as Vito and Al Pacino as Tony. The Godfather is far richer, far more emotional, much deeper and less corny.: the Godfather just destroys Scarface. Its a laughable contest, if you ask me, and I loved Scarface but the masterpiece that is the Godfather, in my opinion, is the greatest film ever made! Too iconic for Scarface

The Godfather...Scarface is awesome but it seriously feels similar to The Godfather and stands no chance on Earth

After just one viewing of each I actually prefered Scarface. Now I have seen both 5+ times and can say with confidence that I now prefer The Godfather. Both are top 35 though.

godfather wins. scarface is ovverrated.

Godfather is one of the greatest movies ever but i loved scarface just a little bit more. idk why

The Godfather beats any gangster film anyday.

The Godfather is better, but which Pacino performance is better is a much tougher question. Maybe Scarface had the better performance.

The second most overrated movie ever vs one of the top ten Hollywood films ever.

The Godfather is the much better film in every category. Although Scarface is awesome as well. Two amazing gangster film.

The Godfather is the much better film in every category. Although Scarface is awesome as well. Two amazing gangster films.

The Godfather is a piece of garbage, Scarface wins.

Brando beats Pacino

Scarface wins by a mile, godfather is still a good movie though

The best movie of all time against a good remake. Godfather wins by million miles

The Godfather, but both are great!!!

The Godfather sweeps it away!

The Godfather is a better movie

Scarface IS overrated

Two overrated movies that glorified the mob. It's funny, whenever I tell someone that I don't like The Godfather they always told me "you have to of been alive during the time in which it came out to truly appreciate it." Well then, I suppose that that is absolute proof as to why that film does not stand the test of time! Sure, both of these films are well shot, acted, and directed... but they are still so entangled within their own worlds that nothing seems valid of purposeful. You ho into these movies, stare a at the great production, and leave taking away absolutely nothing. Both films are an absolute blur and are only required viewing for those who are too afraid to state their own opinion. If you are one of those people, then you will have a ball. Granted, Scarface almost worked for me until the last twenty minuted transversely into style over substance!

Two overrated movies that glorified the mob. It's funny, whenever I tell someone that I don't like The Godfather they always told me "you have to of been alive during the time in which it came out to truly appreciate it." Well then, I suppose that that is absolute proof as to why that film does not stand the test of time! Sure, both of these films are well shot, acted, and directed... but they are still so entangled within their own worlds that nothing seems valid of purposeful. You ho into these movies, stare a at the great production, and leave taking away absolutely nothing. Both films are an absolute blur and are only required viewing for those who are too afraid to state their own opinion. If you are one of those people, then you will have a ball. Granted, Scarface almost worked for me until the last twenty minuted transversely into style over substance!

Two overrated movies that glorified the mob. It's funny, whenever I tell someone that I don't like The Godfather they always told me "you have to of been alive during the time in which it came out to truly appreciate it." Well then, I suppose that that is absolute proof as to why that film does not stand the test of time! Sure, both of these films are well shot, acted, and directed... but they are still so entangled within their own worlds that nothing seems valid of purposeful. You ho into these movies, stare a at the great production, and leave taking away absolutely nothing. Both films are an absolute blur and are only required viewing for those who are too afraid to state their own opinion. If you are one of those people, then you will have a ball. Granted, Scarface almost worked for me until the last twenty minute transverse into style over substance! (Just fixing a couple of typos)

Two overrated movies that glorified the mob. It's funny, whenever I tell someone that I don't like The Godfather they always told me "you have to of been alive during the time in which it came out to truly appreciate it." Well then, I suppose that that is absolute proof as to why that film does not stand the test of time! Sure, both of these films are well shot, acted, and directed... but they are still so entangled within their own worlds that nothing seems valid of purposeful. You ho into these movies, stare a at the great production, and leave taking away absolutely nothing. Both films are an absolute blur and are only required viewing for those who are too afraid to state their own opinion. If you are one of those people, then you will have a ball. Granted, Scarface almost worked for me until the last twenty minute transverse into style over substance! (Just fixing a couple of typos)

God Father

I love The Godfather, But if you replaced Michael Corleone with Tony Montana the movie would be a lot more interesting :P The Godfather is a masterpiece, but so too is the character of Scarface on his own. For that reason, I think Scarface surpasses the Godfather.

Never thought I would've said it but I find Scarface to be the better film. Two great masterpieces.

The Godfather is the beast in this Match Up

Scarface is a lot better!

Scarface is not on the level of great movies like this one Godfather so i enjoyed more Vito Corleone dinasty than Tony Montana Dinasty

Godfather wins for overall better film. Better characters, script, and dialogue.

ear
ear

The Godfather is one of the few films that is superior to Scarface.

Two prime example of mafia movies.I love "Scarface".And against any other mafia movie, even the sequels of "The Godfather" , it would rank higher, but here, it would be wrong to put it above.

The Godfather is so much better that it makes me gigahty my pants.

Scarface wasn't that any simple, Godfather is true classic here.

I honestly don't care much for The Godfather. Scarface to me, is the greatest crime film of all-time.

scarface is one of my personal favorites, but godfather easily gets the nod

I Enjoy Both The Godfather 1 and 2 and scarface, but I’ve watched scarface a lot more due to the faster pace and it being a flick you can pop in anytime and finish in one sitting where as in The Godfather movies take three or four days to finish, so I would give this one a tie

THE GODFATHER is one of the finest films ever made and my personal favorite. Pacino was so much better in it then SCARFACE and his character was so much more interesting.

The Godfather by 100K miles.

Al Pacino is great in both but is still way better in the Godfather. Godfather easily.