Dunkirk vs. Spider-Man: Homecoming

7 comments

4 comments

Dunkirk is a steaming pile. There's a reason why Spider-Man made almost as much money in its opening weekend ($117 million) as Dungpile did altogether. Spider-Man is a real movie with real characters while Dungpile is a mockumentary style snoozefest with no story at all.

Dunkirk is a war movie at its most brilliance. It's gritty realism and artistic style puts you in the shoes of the soldiers better than any other war film including the likes of Apocalypse Now and Platoon. Of course, Spider-Man was going to make most of its money back because it's a soulless, simple, commericial-ise Marvel crapfeast for kids. You think Dunkirk has no story? Watch the predictable and generic Homecoming. It's not even a movie; it's a toy commercial/Saturday morning cartoon with a huge budget. Dunkirk resembles a moving painting and this is why movies were made in the first place. With people's attention span nowadays no one can sit through a 105 minute movie that resembles art or can appreciate great cinematography. If you want a cinematic epic then watch Dunkirk. Spider-Man Homecoming isn't art, isn't emotionally compelling cinema and certainly isn't a good film. Oh and no McGuire, no Raimi means no Spider-Man!

Holy crap. I looked it up and Dunkirk is not even going to come within $500 million of Spider-Man at the world wide box office. How embarrassing for Monsieur Nolan.

Chirst-opher once again completely owns Marvel by producing another timeless master craft that has redefined the genre of war drama and set another gold standard that all of film will desperately try to measure up to, making yet another rehashed story by an overrated fictional character look irrelevant by comparison

Spider-Man making more money is only part of the overall equation. No one even liked Dunkirk unless they were already a nolan MENTALLY ILL Sycophant.

Spider-Man: Homecoming was a bit underwhelming for me. On the other hand I absolutely loved Dunkirk. It's the kind of no-nonsense war film I wish we could see more often.

Spider-Man: Homecoming was fun enough but I really do still miss the Raimi and Tobey Maguire Spider-Man days.

Spider-Man: Homecoming was a funny superhero movie with a great villain and Tom Holland's perfect mixture between shy Peter Parker, and funny Spider-Man, but Dunkirk is a much more important and impactful movie. It is one of the most realistic war movies I've ever seen, you feel like you're there while all of it is happening, and it basically feels like they made a whole entire movie out of the first 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan. And so, I have to give the edge to Dunkirk.

Dunkirk is important and gripping. Homecoming is CGI and jokes. NO RAIMI, NO MAGUIRE MEANS NO SPIDER-MAN!

Homecoming is not as good as a lot of people are making it out to be in my opinion. Of the films which have come out of the MCU, it was merely OK, falling in the middle/upper middle tier of their quality spectrum. Tom Holland got the right balance between "awkward-nerd Peter" and "entertaining wise-cracking Spider-Man" that neither Maguire nor Garfield could completely nail, and Michael Keaton easily delivered one of the best villain performances in the series, but aside from that, there really wasn't much to recommend; the action was underwhelming (while I understand wanting to do something different from previous incarnations of Spider-Man, not having him web-swinging through Manhattan feels like we've taken a huge step back), the side characters were either disposable or unlikeable, with the possible exception of Jacob Batalon's Ned, and the whole film looked visually bland and generic (this was probably a deliberate decision to emulate the John Hughes-esque vibe which they were going for with the High School setting, but it didn't do the film any favours for me). It's not a bad film by any stretch, it's just not that special. Dunkirk on the other hand was an absolute treat, Nolan's best film since Inception, the best film of 2017 for me, and one of the best, if not the best, war film since Saving Private Ryan. No contest here.

Dunkirk complete destroys homecoming

Although I really enjoyed Homecoming and thought it was the second best Spider-Man movie after Rami’s first two, Dunkirk wins this one. It’s a lot more unique, in a way that really pays off. Great score, structure, tension, just lead to an amazing film. Though Homecoming is great, it just can’t win this one.