Cinderella vs. Sleeping Beauty

4 comments

5 comments

Cinderella has to win this one, right?

ear
ear

You are right. Cinderella is more charming and magical but I still like the Dwarfs.

ear
ear

I still prefer Cinderella but I always confuse Sleeping Beauty with Snow White and those adorable dwarfs.

Sleeping Beauty.It's disney's best work imo.

Don't much care for either princess. I don't think the adoration of Sleeping Beauty's animation and villain are deserved; Mallificent's among my least favorite Disney villains. And I'm bored with the story of Cinderella. At least it has characters with some level of charm, though. Not that I like the characters, just that the rats have some personality and don't bore me. Sleeping Beauty, aptly enough, almost put me to sleep.

Sleeping Beauty is one of the few Disney animated classics that I actually did not see when I was a kid, and only saw it for the first time quite recently. I loved the animation style and the look of the movie, but it was the first time with one of the movies from Disney's first Golden Age of animation that I actually felt they were ripping themselves off--specifically, with Cinderella and Snow White. It felt like a re-hash. Would I feel differently about this if I had seen Sleeping Beauty two decades ago? I dunno, but Cinderella gets my vote. (Oh, and as for the villains, Lady Tremaine is equally--if not more--menacing than Malificient, and she doesn't possess magic powers or turn herself into a dragon.)

Sleeping Beauty does benefit from Tchaikovsky's gorgeous music, some lovely singing, and a much more developed leading man. The second act, comprised of the birthday preparations and Once Upon a Dream sequence, is brilliant. But Cinderella herself is a more sympathetic character than Briar Rose, and I have more nostalgia for that movie. Cinderella wins.

JRM
JRM

I think they're both on the same level. So, for me, it comes down to which would I sit and watch right now: Cinderella.

Sleeping Beauty was hotter.

Cinderella is way better.

Sleeping Beauty because it has Maleficent and she's one of the greatest Disney villains ever.