Escape from Alcatraz vs. The Shawshank Redemption

0 comments

7 comments

Escape from Alcatraz is a great escape film but come on, its The Shawshank Redemption.

EFA lacks good soundtracks and also it's too slow....Result: clear victory for TSR

Shawshank seems to have borrowed from Escape from Alcatraz, but Shawshank is the better film. Both are good though.

Escape from Alcatraz is like Shawshank without drama.

Escape from Alcatraz is like Shawshank without drama.

Definitely felt the similarities when I watched Escape from Alcatraz after seeing Shawshank first, and in the TCM intro Darabont even said that when he went back and watched EFA after making Shawshank he felt like he had ripped off parts of the film. Both are quite good, but Shawshank is more memorable. Could be because I saw it first, not sure.

When Shawshank was released, we didn't need another prison break movie because we got THE prison break movie. So when looking back on Alcatraz, as unfair as it seems, I couldn't help but think of Shawshank and Shawshank did everything better with added characterisation and drama!

Both are quality prison films, but Shawshank exists in a higher tier of film classics. It's simply the better choice.