Monsters University vs. Monsters, Inc.

1 comments

19 comments

Wow, no comments?! I really like both these movies, but the winner is obvious. Though Monsters University is much funnier than Monsters, Inc., the original film has much more poignancy and a fair bit of humor itself. I'd recommend both, but Monsters, Inc. is undeniably better...

I knew that Monsters University wouldn't top Monsters Inc. and it didn't. That being said, I still loved MU, just like every Pixar film before it.

Monsters University... much funnier than Monsters, Inc.!? Poppycock! If that were true, it would be it, not Monsters, Inc., that I preferred. It's, in my opinion, Pixar's least funny film to date, which is why it ended up as my new least favorite. Still a solid movie, and very much in keeping with Pixar's other films story-wise, but not up to par with Monsters, Inc.

Never mind on my comment.

It would have been nearly impossible to make the connections that they did with Boo in MI, but MU was fantastic. After the mess that was Cars 2 and the miserable trailer, I was worried, and I'm still very skeptical about Planes.

I think Bram already nailed it here. I have the same opinion.

Monsters University was excellent. Very, very funny, great animation, and a welcome return to old friends. That being said, it doesn't stand a chance against Monsters, Inc. Monsters, Inc. is even more funny, hugely original, and has such a tear-jerking ending (at least two scenes should guarantee tears) that I could never choose Monsters University over the original. Monsters, Inc. is a masterpiece, while Monsters University is just a very, very good movie.

Both were a lot of fun...but still gotta go the original....

Both are absolutely wonderful. But Monsters Inc. wins because I grew up with it.

Monster's U is pretty good, but Monster's Inc. is pretty amazing. I really enjoyed U, it's a great exqmple of how to do a prequel. It brings back some characters, but doesn't force in unneccesary characters cough*HOBBIT*cough, it contains it's own story and plays with your expectations extremely. But did anyone else find the dialogue quite lacking? I remember Monster's Inc having the wittiest dialogue of all the Pixar films to date, and while U's dialogue wasn't bad per se, there's nothing from it I really remember. Monster's Inc is full of memorable stuff (Winds of change, Company Play, Spoons, etc.) but U is more about the story than the words. That's kind of disappointing, but it delivered on most other regards, especially with character development and the story's ending.

After thinking about it for a while, I have realised that MU is a lot, lot worse than Inc. It's so bland and paint-by-numbers. My feelings still stand on the ending, which was easily the best part, and I still respect the way it was handled in a prequel sense, but everything else. . . Feh. It has a few funny jokes, like the scream can production class scene that I really laughed at, but most of it was quite, and I hate to say this, kiddy. There's not enough in here for adults. I'm sorry, but there just isn't. It's a kids movie. And believe me, I did not want to come out of the movie feeling this, but after a good bit of thought, it fails miserably in comparison to the original.

Isn't Monsters University like the most pointless prequel ever made? Mike wants to be a scarer, guess what: he doesn't become one. That's like if the Star Wars prequels centered around young Han Solo wanting to become a Jedi. Pointless.

MysticSpoon, it is pointless but not bad like the SW prequels. I enjoyed it quite a lot.

Yes, we know where he eventually ends up, but it's the journey that matters. The fact that we know he's destined to fail makes his persistent efforts to realize his dreams more tragic. MU teaches kids a hard lesson: hard work isn't always the answer, because sometimes it's just not meant to be. But that's okay, since there are tons of other options out there; the world's full of them. Also, if you read further into it, which I doubt a kid will do (it's mostly adults I've heard saying this), that there are other paths you can take to get to where you want to be in this world than college.

Not if you're Irish, though. If you fail your playschool entrance exams that every child is given five minutes after coming out of the womb, you've ruined your chances in ever succeeding in this one and only life we humans have. Fuck other paths in life, I'll see you in Burger King 'till you're in your fifties.

Monsters Inc. but you know, both are fantastic.

Now that I've seen MU, I do agree with you, Charyou_Tree. It is still a pretty pointless prequel, but the fact that we know what eventually happens to Mike does help bring the message across of "no matter how hard you work, sometimes you just have to accept something you don't want. Monsters Inc. is much better, but MU is still a pretty entertaining film.

I do believe what seen it Monsters University can't take down Monsters, Inc

Both are good movies. The original is better for no other reason than Boo is the best character of the franchise. The original also has the best message, proving that laughter is better than fright

Also even that's will be cooler of MU is better than Monsters,Inc absolutely not Monsters,Inc is better to

Really enjoyed MU... but the original is just a Pixar classic and takes the win here.

I agree with everyone else here, Monster's Inc is much better

Monsters Inc will always win. Both are amazing tho.

Monsters Inc, b/c it had a better story.

Actually close for me, but it's the original.