The Muppets vs. Return of the Jedi

2 comments

2 comments

Muppets vs Muppets. Guess I'll go with The Muppets.

The Muppets was a very cute movie, but Return of the Jedi is...well, it's Return of the Jedi. How's that for an airtight argument?

The Muppets didn't have any redeeming scenes involving Darth Vader, Luke and the cackling Emperor. So, I guess what I'm saying is that The Muppets is just about muppets. That isn't automatically a bad thing, mind you. It's just that the story in The Muppets was very by-the-numbers and stale. It's like the screenwriters didn't even try. Jedi is an extremely obnoxious muppet movie, but there are still lightsaber duels and explosions. If Jedi was just about Ewoks then The Muppets would easily win. Ewoks are crap.

Well, alright. I will admit that my old reply was less an argument and more a one-liner. It's just that I don't like Return of the Jedi that much. First of all: I don't think it's that innovative. The movie is contained mostly of stuff we've seen before. The Death Star, a place crouded with weird looking aliens (or should I say Muppets) on Tatooiine, a forest moon (Yavin 4...alright whatever :p), the emperor and Jabba (have been mentioned before or made brief appearances), and our heroes must yet again infiltrate an imperial stronghold and turn off another energy beam. Even the dialogue is recycled ('I love you' 'I know'). And the things that are new (Ewoks) are just there for merchandising and to continue merchandising through television shows and 2 spin-off movies. The only thing of the top of my head that is both new AND not annoying / cool to watch is the speederbike chase. That's it. And it all ends with a teddybear picnic...yeah. I still like it, but in comparison to Star Wars and Empire, Jedi is pretty blah. The Muppets is fun. The story isn't spectacular, sure, but it knows it has some standard stuff in it and has fun with it ('maniacal laugh!'). It still feels fresh to me, unlike Jedi.

At least, The Muppets don't have Ewoks.