ParaNorman vs. Coraline

4 comments

12 comments

Ooh, I actually got this match-up at random - and no one has commented on it yet? While these are both masterpieces of dark, spooky storytelling and gorgeous stop-motion animation from LAIKA, my vote goes to ParaNorman. The way it turns the usual "evil witch" tale on its head in such a beautiful, sensitive way is so perfect.

While ParaNorman is definitely funnier and more visually-stunning than Coraline, I think that Coraline wins here because its story was more interesting than ParaNorman's.

Look, I adore Coraline. I adore most everything about it: its spectacular directing, story, animation, acting, etc... it's all so great! However, I'm going to pick ParaNorman. I felt like ParaNorman was just like a huge package of everything that makes film worthwile; it took everything that Coraline had, and made it better. Plus, it added wonderful humor; a brilliant, frantic pace; and a gorgeous score. Sorry, Coraline, but I'm going with Norman...

Had a bit of a change of heart there, eh, BramSterling? Onto where I stand on this matchup, my sentiments more or less echo your original thoughts. ParaNorman operated on a plane separate from all other stop-motion films where visuals are concerned; whereas others, it's clear, are working around the limitations of the medium, ParaNorman acts as if they aren't even there and the end result is a film which looks every bit the part of a computer animated film. Coraline, however, was by no means lacking in terms of visuals, and it had a script based upon a Neil Gaiman short story to go along with it. ParaNorman does some interesting things, such as take zombies in a new and unexpected direction, yet its writing isn't as sharp and its story isn't as nuanced and grabbing as Coraline's. Both have morals at play, except ParaNorman is admittedly brazen about it, thinking it best to hammer it into the viewers' skulls than to let them come to understand it on their own. Coraline, by comparison, is subtle enough that you don't feel as if you're being lectured like you do with ParaNorman. So, with all that considered, Coraline wins.

Coraline was the deeper film. I appreciate everything Coraline does ... I really do. It's dark, sinister, beautifully animated, dramatic, and made with such a unbreakable level of comittment. But I still have to pick ParaNorman. The humor makes it so much more enjoyable, and it's much more clever with its moral. In fact, I'm not quite sure what moral Coraline was trying to get across. At any rate, these are both insanely well made movies, but ParaNorman gets the nod.

I really liked both of these, but I have to give the edge to Coraline.

Im going with Coraline, I really do adore ParaNorman but Coraline seems much more creative and visually interesting but I still love both films but im going with Coraline.

Coraline

ParaMe is entertaining, but Coraline is really better

about equally creepy, but Coraline's dolls seriously creeped me out compared to Paranorman's zombies and catastrophies.

Rac
Rac

ParaNorman. Coraline felt too video-gamish towards the end.

Coraline

100% Coraline!!!!

Both amazing animated movies, but I liked Coraline better

I just finished ParaNorman, and for me, it's leaps and bounds ahead of Coraline. Both of these films feature amazing animation and inventive visuals, of course, but ParaNorman's story, humor and heart grabbed me more.

Coraline straight up gives me chills, Coraline was better

ParaNorman lacks Coraline's subtlety, and the concept of having another dimension with fake parents is just ridiculously disturbing. Especially the revelation that the other father actually cares for Coraline, there were so many hints like the subliminal messages in the song.

I didn't like ParaNorman as much, Caroline had a very unique atmosphere while something about paranorman just didn't feel natural to me

Coraline murders Paranorman