Star Wars vs. Life of Pi

3 comments

2 comments

Pi.

Life of Pi's a piece of shit, when you look at it.

While Life of Pi was one of my favourite films of 2012, I can't deny that it has a fair share of issues looking back. Star Wars: A New Hope may not be the best film ever made (contrary to what the system on Flickchart would have you believe), nor is it the best film in the Star Wars franchise, but it is undeniably one of the most influencial, rewatchable, entertaining films of all time. Ironically, for all of Life of Pi's self-proclaimed qualities of "story-telling", A New Hope may just be one of the most simultaneously simplistic and effective examples of story-telling within the fantasy genre, deliberately or otherwise. Win for Star Wars.

Man, brother, oh jeez. Life of Pi is more affecting when I watch it today. But, like. I've seen it maybe three times. I've seen Star Wars hundreds, and I'm still catching new jokes and being surprised by things. Both are films to which I have extreme personal attachment, with Life of Pi and the subsequent Beatrice and Virgil being the only book I've ever personally had signed by its author. This is a really hard battle, one which indicates that Life of Pi should likely be even higher on my chart. ...so I guess I'm going to let it climb.

Life of pi gets the win here.I was never a star wars fan.