Once Upon a Time in America vs. Schindler's List

3 comments

4 comments

This is very hard for me. Both are very long, engrossing, effortful, feature great performances and both are about Jews and the conflicts that confront them. Whether it be in crime or during the Holocaust. But I am going to give the slight edge to the underrated Sergio Leone classic Once Upon a Time in America. One of the true gems of film, its amazing how it was snubbed from the Oscars and how it didn't get the recognition that Schindler's List got.

I agree. Schindler's List is a great film but it doesn't have the entertainment value like Leone's epic. I find it better in almost every department (even acting. I though Robert De Niro's laconic performance and naturalistic method brought much more realism to the film. It definitely stands as a gangster classic.

Once Upon a Time in America has to take the cake by a nose. It is more epic and instead of making you feel sorry for the entire Jewish race, it only makes you feel sorry for one man who is a Jew. The film is full of so much crime and sin and it is hard in some parts to keep up with the plot. But It pays off in the end for me. Its pretty entertaining and possibly Sergio Leone's masterpiece. It even in my opinion surpasses a great film called The good, the bad and the ugly. Great performances, dialogue, casting and shots, Once Upon a Time in America is one of those classic gangsters you cant keep away from.

Schindler's List and Once Upon a Time in America are two favorites of mine but they are not my two best films. But if I had to pick one to watch on a boring Saturday night, I would have to go with Once Upon a Time in America. Such an epic film from top to bottom and also full of class. The actors display great coming of age performances as Robert De Niro and James Woods tear it up in this classic. I always did love Sergio Leone, but I love Spielberg more. In this case I'm going with Leone.

Schindler's List gets the nod.

Im extremely shocked everyone chose once upon a time in america. Schindlers List is my choice

Both films show some terrible things happen to characters yet Leone's film stays with me more. I have a desire to rewatch Once Upon a Time in America fairly often. I just barely watched Schindler's List for the first time and it was great, but I really feel no desire to rewatch it any time soon.

Schindler´s List is definitely far better.

Schindler's List is a lot better in my opinion. Granted, I do need to see Once Upon Time again but when I watched it for the first time I didn't really care for it.