A Quiet Place vs. A Quiet Place Part II

7 comments

0 comments

Part 2 is pretty good until a rushed and purely nonsensical third act. The first one has stupid moments but isn't a stupid movie. In fact, it's creative and consistenly intense.

Part 1. Very similar films, the 2nd wasn't bad even though it added hardly anything to the concept

Ill stick with the first one also...but I enjoyed both...

Sequels that surpass the original are very rare indeed, but sequels that are WORTHY of their predecessors do happen, and this is one of those cases. Of course Part II is not AS good, but I think it's once again an excellent job by Krasinski.

I'm with johnmason here. Part II, against all odds, is a worthy sequel, but the original is still the best.

I agree that it’s worthy. Not sure what was nonsensical about the third act…?

I just rewatched A Quiet Place before watching the sequel for the first time. The original is a horror masterclass that I think I initially underrated. It's lean, susrtains tension throughout, it subverts tropes enough to be shocking at times and has a heart that is definitely helped by the on screen chemistry between Krasinski and his real wife Emily Blunt. Perhaps most importantly in a horror movie I never got angry at a character being stupid just to create the horror. It tracks throughout and even the minor stuff that seems dumb on the surface tracks psychologically like using weapons on monsters the military couldn't take out because at least it feels better than using your bare hands. The sequel is a very good horror movie, but it is more predictable, lacks some of the heart and has several instances where the plot is more clearly driven by tropes including the dreaded character not using common sense for tension like when a man is being choked by a rope and tugs on the rope with a hand that's also holding a knife instead of cutting at the rope with the knife.

In the sequel I wasn't so annoyed with the dumb characters as in the first one. Sequel wins.