The Heat vs. Men in Black

1 comments

3 comments

The Heat is nothing new, so its appeal rides mostly on whether Bullock and McCarthy possess the comedy charisma to keep it interesting. Bullock's by the book goody goody bit is a tad stale. She's still funny enough, I guess, but her reluctance to swear vs. McCarthy's unrelenting potty mouth starts to become too obvious. McCarthy is easily the most entertaining character, even if she, too, is an overused one. Men in Black has the more creative story going for it. Jones and Smith aren't quite as funny as McCarthy, but they benefit from having the weirdness going on around them. Men in Black brings more freshness to the table, if nothing else.

For a movie more geared towards families (I think it was rated a soft PG-13), Men in Black is quite funny. While The Heat does have more laugh-out-loud moments, the humor is as cheap as can be. The movie only somewhat works because its two stars had enough charisma to elevate the rather weak material. For a summer blockbuster, Men in Black was quite clever and high-quality in nearly every way. The Heat gets left out in the cold here...

Men in Black simply gets worse for me with each viewing. I'll pick it now...but wouldn't be surprised if The Heat eventually wins out...

Egant made a good point. i find Heat funnier but the plot has been done to death. Men In Black for it's time was "pretty" original so I'll pick it.