Eyes Wide Shut vs. The Shining

9 comments

3 comments

what a poster........ definitely gonna watch it now

^I'm guessing you're talking about The Shining, yes? Cruise and Kidman doing the hanky-panky doesn't 'tickle' your fancy, eh? It's alright.

EWS's first half is mesmerizing. Pitch-perfect lighting, nicely directed and surprisingly engaging, psychologically. It's only when we're basically following Cruise through distractingly unconvincing sets that the film sorta drags. It's all-in-all great, but The Shining IS Kubrick at his devastating best. Not even Jack's shameless overacting could stop it from being a masterpiece.

His overacting could have been intentional, yes?

Things I don't really have to think about in life = This VS. These just don't compare...

I'll take The Shining.

For now, Eyes Wide Shut.

Eyes Wide Shut is powerful and i love it, but Shining is my solid favorite of all time

Two of the most artistic and complex movies I've ever seen that has left me both thinking and analysing them ever since I saw them for the first time! I love both for similar reasons but The Shining terrified me so damn much!

kubrick's late films were incredibly dense, but i much prefer eyes wide shut (though both are masterpieces)

EWS is a bit better. It hurts putting The Shining below it but it just can't beat EWS.

Neither of these rank among my favourite Kubrick films but I think I like Eyes Wide Shut a bit more.

Both are equally perfect film experience but I prefer Eyes Wide Shut by a hair due to its tone of rich suspense lingering the entire way through. I also prefer Bill Harford over Redmond Barry as an original kind of lead character. Perhaps the most well spirited lead Kubrick character next to Dave. Both of these feature genius quality natural lighting

^^meant to put that under Barry Lyndon vs Eyes Wide Shut. The same thoughts apply; I prefer Bill Harford over Jack Torrance

The suspense is a bit more subtle in Eyes Wide Shut; although equally genius in The Shining