Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones vs. The Empire Strikes Back

2 comments

23 comments

Episode II is the worst in the entire Star Wars series, so there is no way it can even compare to the best of the same series.

Agreed. While there are some visual moments in Episode II that I enjoy, you need go no further than comparing the dialogue. It's like night and day. Lucas can't write dialogue; fortunately, Lawrence Kasdan could.

We're talking about the middle movies in each of the trilogies here, and also we're talking about the best movie in the entire series versus the weakest.

The only new Star Wars film that can at least slightly keep up with the old ones is Episode III. Thus, The Empire Strikes Back wins this battle by a landslide.

This is a tough one! Clones has some very memorable moments but I'll go with Empire, it has to many iconic scenes to overlook, at least today, tomorrow I might feel differently.

Empire. By A Landslide.

I'm not gonna bash Episode II; I enjoyed Christopher Lee's appearance as Count Dooku, the portions set on Tatooine and the third act on Geonosis. That said, there's something captivating about "Empire," from Luke's training on Dagobah to Han Solo's awkward courtship of Princess Leia to that final showdown on Cloud City. The bad guys win, and so does "Empire."

LOL. Clones can't compare to no other Star Wars movie.

JRM
JRM

I really, really enjoyed Episode II more than most seem to, but Empire is my second favorite Star Wars film (behind Episode III). However, I would put Attack of the Clones above Return of the Jedi, which I found to be a very underwhelming end to the Star Wars saga. Still loved it, though.

Came here to find out if anyone would actually vote for Episode II, which I appreciate for a handful of awesome scenes. Everything about "Empire" makes it stand out from the rest of the series. When I re-watched the original trilogy recently, the difference between Episodes IV and V was noticeable seconds into the first scene on Hoth. The direction, the acting, the writing, even the special effects are so far beyond the first "Star Wars," and though I love "Return of the Jedi," none of the sequels/prequels came close to it as a quality piece of cinema. The original trilogy will always be the ultimate outer space adventure story, and "Empire" will always reign as the best episode.

Attack of the Clones is very good, but Empire Strikes Back is much better.

Attack of the Clones. There, I said it. And I am as surprised as I am sure all of you are. After rewatching The Phantom Menace, I decided that I could do without seeing the other two, especially because people say Attack of the Clones is the worst of them all. But, the completionist in me got the better of me, I guess. To be honest, I am glad it did. Attack of the Clones is certainly not the worst. In my opinion, it is the best, at least until I watch Revenge of the Sith. But, I know that none of you are going to agree with me no matter what, so I will not say any more than that.

EMPIRE STRIKES BACK IS WITHOUT A DOUBT WAY BETTER THAN CLONE WARS!!! Yes, Clone Wars had a FEW good moments, but this is like comparing DC Comics movies and Marvel movies; Marvel will always win.

Attack of the Clones tried desperately to BE The Empire Strikes Back. It failed miserably.

Attack of the Clones is Crap. So Yes, The Empire Strikes Back wins again.

2nd best VS 2nd worst. Empire wins no contest.

Wha...ehm...what?

The 80's ruled....

Clones was crap. Empire was not. There you go.

Natalie looks good on that poster but even she can't sway me.

Greatest Star Wars Movie vs Worst Star Wars Movie. I Really wanted to kick Anakin's ass in Attack of the Clones. So, The Empire Strikes Back easily destroys Attack of the Clones in this matchup and also, The Empire Strikes Back will always be my Favorite Star Wars Movie forever and My #1 Favorite Movie of all time. End of Story.

I am LAUGHING MY BALLS OFF!!!!!! Attack of the Clones is everything TERRIBLE about a film. Horrible writing and directing, lame characters, uninteresting and heavily flawed story, doesn't stick true to the originals and makes everything memorable about the originals utter shit: Vader is basically ruined by the performances by Hayden and Jake Lloyd. Yoda's legacy and his mystery is thrown aside and Lucas took a crap on it by giving him a spinning fight scene with Christopher Lee, who was the only good thing about that film. Even he is put to waste. Terrible and laughable romance story and dialogue, corny story, CGI filled movie that doesn't need to be and an utter disgrace to Star Wars. I'd take the Phantom Menace over Clones, both give me nightmares. On the other hand, ESB is everything perfect about cinema.

The Battle of Geonosis is a complete and utter attempt to recreate the magic and brilliance of The Battle of Hoth. Those AT-T's or whatever on Geonosis attempt to better the AT-AT walkers but once more fails. I can't think of a certain good thing about the film. Not one.

Empire, no contest.

You'd have to be CRAZY if you think Attack of the Clones is better.

Attack of the Clones isn't that bad actually - the scenes on Genosis, Kamino, along with the Cosomaunt Chase and Anakin rescuing his mother on Tatoonie I find great. However, it's the stupid, loathsome love scenes that drag it down. If you removed the love scenes, you actually have a really entertaining Star Wars flick. As is, it's great in parts but also frequently terrible. Empire is a masterpiece and one of the all-time greats, and obviously the best Star Wars film. You know which one wins, although Attack is still okay.

This isn't close. Clones is my 2nd least favourite Star Wars movie, and Empire is my favourite.

I've really come around on Attack of the Clones. It is probably the SW film that feels comes the closest to capturing who Lucas is as an auteur. His vision for Star Wars was always bold in its approach (ie. a corny old movie serial shot and edited like an arthouse film but with a blockbuster budget) but he stretched this to the breaking point here (some might argue that he stretched it past the breaking point). Its also the one film in the franchise where, arguably, the technology (specifically the digital photography) was behind where it needed to be to achieve Lucas vision. Empire, by contrast, is in many ways the most conventional of the six. It looks and feels much more like a typical Hollywood blockbuster from the early 80's, but what a blockbuster! It is certainly the tightest film in the series from a writing perspective and its sense of atmosphere is simply unmatched. Because of this I do think it beats AOTC, which is much more loosely plotted and lacks the engrossing atmosphere of TESB.

Not so perfect as the original trilogy

Attack of the clones wins prequels are my childhood

attack of the clones is a fucking masterpiece