Star Trek Beyond vs. Star Trek Into Darkness

4 comments

1 comments

Beyond, while not completely amazing, does fix a lot of what was wrong with Into Darkness. We're finally out exploring strange new worlds. The villain is not just a good performance, but also has some depth of character. All the character beats for the main crew are right on target. There are no gratuitous underwear scenes. There is intelligent and poignant tribute paid to the cast of the original movies, without delving into cheap ripoffs. I don't hate on Into Darkness as much as many Trekkies do (it's the weakest Trek movie that I think is still actually GOOD), but I do acknowledge all these flaws, and appreciate that Beyond addressed them. For now, I'd still take the 2009 origin film over both, but Beyond is certainly the better sequel.

beyond crushes

I like both of them, but for now I'll take Into Darkness. The villain was a lot better in that one.

Beyond turned out to be a rather generic disappointment. Yet, not as bad as Into Darkness.

I was Disappointed with both but I guess the effects and heart saves Beyond!

Aside from feeling its finale was rushed (and using the Beastie Boys was too absurd for such a key scene), I loved BEYOND. Easy win.