Memento vs. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

2 comments

10 comments

Fellowship sneaks past...

Memento is a movie that I have nothing but admiration for. It's a gimmicky film that manages to not feel gimmicky (or, at least, not TOO gimmicky), and I'm glad that it exists. That said, there's at least a few hundred films I'd choose to watch before choosing Memento. It's just not a particularly riveting film, in my book. Meanwhile, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring is one of the all-time great fantasy epics, and a movie that I'll likely never get tired of. Peter Jackson tops Christopher Nolan this time around...

Peter Jackson's masterpiece wins this with ease. And I really like Memento.

It's not everyday that I choose a movie over FOTR. It's pretty rare. I'm an avid LOTR fan, just check out my top 10. So, trust me when I say that this is a very difficult decision. In the end, I'm going with Memento. Just a slick film altogether. In my opinion, Memento is Nolan's best work to date. From start to finish--or finish to start, depending on how you look at it--Memento is a mind-bending, mind-blowing experience. I love that there are no wasted scenes. Every single scene, every single sentence, and every single word has significance and points to something else in the ever-unfolding--or folding, depending on how you look at it--movie. I have a great affinity for FOTR. It firmly lays a plush foundation for my favorite fantasy and favorite trilogy of all time. I absolutely loathe voting against it, but Memento is one of the rare exceptions.

How good is Memento? Good enough to slip by Fellowship...and that's saying something....

Good matchup once more. I've come to really like Memento...but is it my favorite film ever? No. Fellowship wins with ease!

OH HARD ONE...

Fellowship. Don't get me wrong, Memento is one of my favorite films of all time, but it can't beat The Lord of the Rings.

Memento is a solid movie that put one of today's most intelligent genre directors on the map. That said, it doesn't shine a candle to the finesse it took from Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh's team to create what is probably the best book-to-film adaptation of all time. Even Memento's complex plotting can't match up to the insane amount of work that went into making Fellowship one of the best films of all time.

Fellowship crushes here.

Gonna go with Fellowship

The dynamic of the characters in Fellowship was too entertaining, It’s close between the two films but I’d rather watch Fellowship again