Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street vs. Edward Scissorhands

3 comments

10 comments

Oh damn, its Burton film starring Depp vs. Burton film starring Depp. This is a difficult one.

my vote goes to the one with the happy ending

I'm going with 'Edward Scissorhands' as well, since it is almost a perfect film.

I know not everyone will agree, but I really think Burton should stop directing musicals.

It's Sweeney Todd for me.

MMM it's hard to decide because they are both Tim Burton films starring johnny Depp with razor sharp blades. I think I'll have to go with Edward being that it was the first film that the duo did together.

Both have the same hair but only Edward has a heart made from a cookie. . .

ear
ear

Scissorhands is the enduring favorite.

Well, maybe I'm a wussy, but I'd rather see Johnny Depp sculpting hair and shrubbery than slashing throats ad nauseam. But perhaps if the songs in Sweeney Todd were actually catchy or memorable, that might've made a difference. And I do like Helena Bonham Carter more than Winona Ryder... Sweeney Todd is just so dismal that I felt none the better for seeing it. I'm not a huge fan of Edward Scissorhands, but at least it amounts to something of a positive experience. I don't recall liking the endings of either of these movies, though.

Edward Scissorhands underwhelmed me. After all the talk of it being so amazing, it turned out to be a perfectly alright little modern fairy tale with clever social commentary. However, Sweeney Todd also underwhelmed me. The singing wasn't great, but you can't deny the pleasure in watching Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter cut people's throats. I honestly don't know which one I would pick so...wherever the arrow goes.

I didn't enjoy Sweeney Todd at all. Edward Scissorhands, however, is a movie I could watch every day of the week.

Didn't like Sweeney Todd at all, was very disappointed in that one. Johnny Depp slitting throats and taking names sounds awesome, but the thing is... that's about all it has. The characters are annoying, the performances are annoying, the songs are annoying, I was really just happy it was over, to be honest. Edward Scissorhands takes it without a doubt.

Both Burton's movies, both starring Depp, still, Sweeney Todd wasn't a really great musical. Edward wins on this.

usually i don't like musicals and as far as the music goes in Sweeney Todd its not that great but i love dark revenge stores so I'm going with Todd.

scizzorhands

Sweeny Todd for better music and a darker story