The Amazing Spider-Man vs. The Dark Knight Rises

3 comments

15 comments

Amazing Spider-Man wasn't as good as Raimi's best work but it certainly beats anything Nolan has ever done in this genre that's for damn sure.

The Dark Knight Rises, for the third time, has shown Marvel how a true epic is done. It easily tops the new Spiderman film when it comes to acting, characters and plot.

I wonder if either of these Otaku mofos have actually seen TDKR yet. It's possible, but you do get the feeling that both of them are talking out of their ass.

One is a Marvel fanboy and the other is a Nolan fanboy (check their lists if you don't believe me). Now I'm not going to question whether or not they've seen it yet, because you can already find plenty of reviews for TDKR on Youtube and other sites, but I just wanted to point that out. You pick your conclusion.

It's their comments history that makes it all seem dubious. They're both fucking nuts. Not alone, but certainly nuts.

The Amzing Spider-Man was a fun origin movie like X-Men First Class, but that bridge scene with the burning car scene over the brigde with the kid inside, I won't spoil it anymore but that was great. I'm seeing Dark Knight Rises at the midnight premiere tonight, and i've been anticipated to see this ever since the first teaser was released during Harry Potter/Deathly Hallows Pt. 2, and I think it will blow Amazing SM out of the water

Haha why is it that almost every time a Marvel v. Batman matchup comes up, there has to be fanboys on each side bickering? I feel like I just posted this exact comment on a different matchup a couple days ago. Anyway, TDKR was far more gripping than Amazing Spider-Man. It's almost worth it to seek some of these matchups out just for the sake of being entertained by the comments.

Batman, but only just. Seriously, TASM wasn't amazing, but was decent entertainment and IMO better than the Raimi films. Batman was mildly better for at least trying to be something much bigger, but the difference between them isn't nearly as big as it should be. I was disappointed by TDKR, it has it's moments of splendour (i.e. everything with Bane, the Pit, the football field, Wally Pfister's cinematography), but they are merely drops in an ocean of plotholes, inconsistencies, poor character chemistry, rushed sub-plots/dialogue/editing (to use the word "rushed" in a film which is 2 hours 48 minutes long is really saying something) and some really poor plot resolutions (won't give any spoilers, but you'll know what I mean when you see it). I probably wouldn't have minded if this were a stand-alone film, or if I had any engagement with it, but since this is a) a Nolan film (thus setting the standard really high), b) has the weight of two really good films behind it which I regard as superhero masterpieces and c) really didn't give me any emotional investment whatsoever, I can't regard it as highly as I should. Overall, like I said, it's still better than TASM, but only just. Both are slightly above average films with decent stuff in them, but whereas one is consistently average, the other has moments of brilliance, but doesn't work as a cohesive hole.

JRM
JRM

The Dark Knight Rises for its ambitions, scope, and for ending the greatest comic book series in exhilarating fashion. The Amazing Spider-Man was also very good, but definitely didn't match TDKR.

Both are huge let down films to those that are honest with themselves. This isn't just a case of huge expectations, BOTH movies failed to deliver on many levels. The writing was poor in both films. TDKR had a cool ending but nothing else matched TDK. ASM sets up for better things but nothing matched Spider-Man or Spider-Man 2.

I thought both were great. I'm neither a Marvel fanboy nor a Nolan one but I can say that TDKR is better film in my eyes. This new Spiderman does set the reboot series up nicely but that can't amount to how TDKR closed Nolans trilogy.

While both great movies, and two of my favorite superheroes, Bane was the only memorable part of TDKR and I'm still thinking about Spider-Man.

I didn't like Raimi's Spidey trilogy, but I did enjoy the reboot. That being said...TDKR felt like an epic event, and it delivered, especially the last 20 minutes...

The Dark Knight Rises. I will rewatch TDKR very soon to 'refresh' my thoughts on it.

I liked The Amazing Spider-Man better than Raimi's films, but The Dark Knight Rises is the king of all comic book films in my opinion.

Easy... The Dark Knight Rises.

TDKR obviously TASM is good but TDKR is better

TDKR ITS WAY MORE EPIC

Rises. Despite all its flaws I found it to be extremely thrilling whereas TASM was extremely boring. Also, how about the villains? Bane is a great, memorable villain ("or perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane") while the Lizard was very forgettable, just like his movie. Spidey-reboot was ultimately pointless and unnecessary.

The Dark Knight Rises

I think The Amazing Spider-Man is starting to get overrated just because of Andrew’s cameo in No Way Home. Between these two, The Dark Knight Rises is easily the better movie and has aged better

The Dark Knight Rises, no contest

i just think it's funny that ppl will call TDKR a "trilogy destroyer" while loving TASM to pieces