The Martian vs. Interstellar

5 comments

8 comments

This is a tough one! I love Interstellar, and I still think it's absolutely brilliant, but it has lost a little bit of steam for me. On the other hand, The Martian satisfied on all levels. I hate voting against Interstellar, but I'm voting for The Martian for now.

Interstellar has problems, and its one movie that overstays its welcome, but it was just so epic that I almost have to chose it. Martian was pretty good also, just not as good.

Kind of changing my mind here...

Even the first two excellent hours of Interstellar pale in comparison to the entirety of The Martian. And that's before Interstellar's last hour or so goes downhill.

Interstellar for me. The Martian was a really enjoyable film. The visuals were pretty nice. The Mar's landscape was beautiful and I was impressed by the suits. Damon's character was absolutely charming! Funny and smart, I was rooting for him! But that's just about all he was. I realize that survival is basic human instinct but instinct seems to be Watney's only reason to survive. The film was really impersonal. We know nothing about Watney's personality. Or any of the other characters for that matter. I know he hates shitty disco music but what music does he like? And why didn't he bring his own movies, books, or music to keep himself busy on the mission? I guess he just completely dedicated his life to science. This is not necessarily a problem, but I just felt that something was missing. Where is his family? Is he in love? Does he have any other reasons for going back home? The seemingly lonely year and a half doesn't seem to bother our main character too much. We don't really know our character and it bothers me. This movie is super funny, a sci-fi movie disguised as a comedy. I'd much rather like to compare it to Apollo 13. Both are simple stories that are pretty good and could be watched again if you like. (I'm a space person so I liked Apollo a bit but not that much). But I like more serious films, ones that provoke thought. There aren't any implications in this film so I felt it was pretty empty from emotion. The complete opposite from Interstellar. So, Interstellar wins. It wasn't a simply story telling and I liked that. Interstellar provides a real emotional experience that The Martian simply doesn't have.

I enjoy both but I'd rather watch Interstellar.

The Martian is excellent, and one of my favorites of 2015. Still, it doesn't stand a chance against one of my favorites of all time.

The Martian. It's about 20 minutes to a half hour shorter and it's more re watchable. Honestly I own both on BluRay and after seeing them twice I thought the Martian was a lot better the first and second time I've only seen it twice. Same with interstellar but it was so painfully slow the second time around that I don't feel like watching it over and over again. I gave it a 5 star rating but now maybe a 3.5 or 4 stars. The Martian is my favorite movie of 2015 so yeah.

The Martian is far and away the better film. It's crisp and delivers characters you truly relate with and have genuine emotion towards. Interstellar is disengaging and flat.

The Martian is good but doesn't compare to Interstellar.

I enjoyed The Martian but it is a lightweight when put up against Interstellar

The Martian is very fun and lighthearted but Interstellar surpasses it in visuals, sound, and performances.

The Martian is a real movie. Interstellar is not. Nuff said.

The Martian wins this for me. Interstellar probably has the better score and slightly better visuals, but Damon gives a powerhouse performance and Martian is just better made overall. It may also be because I really like movies that have some fun with their story.

Loved both but Interstellar is by far the best movie, I can't get enough of it