Django Unchained vs. Inglourious Basterds

37 comments

42 comments

Django was enjoyable, but somewhat messy in parts. Inglourious Basterds is the much, much stronger work.

I downright love both films! Basterds was just more I thought. But both are bloody great times!

Like Boonmee said, Django Unchained can be a bit messy. Inglourious Basterds has the more finely tuned story and, thus, is easier and more enjoyable to watch. Easy choice.

Basterds for me as well, but Django was simply amazing and may surpass it in time.

And as usual the cunts make us wait a month. And you wonder why piracy is a principle.

Django is the more briskly paced of the two, which possibly gives it the edge for me. Though the long dialogue scenes of IB are some of the best that Tarantino has come up with, I find that they become more tiresome on repeat viewings. I'll go with IB for now, but I can easily see myself placing Django above it in time.

At the end of the day I just see myself watching Django more often out of pure entertainment. The same reason I watch Kill Bill more then any Tarantino flick.

Django had a few moments of greatness, but it felt like ever too much exploitation. Both it and Basterds are gratuitous in their revenge-fantasy violence, but Basterds had more of the great dialogue scenes I love. The tense opening in the French countryside, the undercover drinking game in the cellar bar, dessert time with Goebbles. Django had a few such scenes, but a lot more of quick-draw action and Kill Bill level bloodshed.

Django. I thought that it was a completely solid film. I didn't find any parts in it to drag on or be too slow. I experienced that a few times in Basterds though.

I absolutely love Basterds... and Django is much, much better.

I do love the plantation shootout in Django, my god, that was fantastic!

Simply put, Basterds is the better film. I really enjoyed Django, but the last 30 to 40 minutes were a little sloppy.

Both are outstanding features,guess we can all agree that Mr. Tarantino still on the top of his game. That been said, i'll go with the Basterds by just a bit!

Basterds is awesome but Django is better . The more i think of it , the more it gets better . I think django unchained has a great story , great characters and all the things that make a western cool and enjoyable. This movie just Kicks ass!

inglorious basterds definetedly

Basterds is awesome but I see myself revisiting Django more

Django Unchained is definitely better. Really love Quentin Tarantino touch in a western movie.

Both in my favourites, but Django wins.

Django absolutely smashes Inglourious Basterds.

Django was absolutely great, but it does fall short to exceed the brilliance of Inglorious Barsterds.

Django was really good. Basterds was perfect.

I was right, I watched Django for the third time and I think I like it a little bit more than the Basterds now. PS the D is silent.

Im in a nest of Tarantino fanboys! Django is better for me since it is much more cohesive (even if it is still too long) and has more interesting characters and better performances. Inglourious has a few amazing set pieces tied together with some long, drawn out, ponderous, self-indulgent Tarantino flair. So for me, Django wins by miles.

I think Basterds is more brilliant. Both are brilliant though.

I'd hate to succumb to the hype therefore at the moment Inglorious Basterds remains the better film although only time will tell of which one is the better film

Django is a much more all over the place than Inglorious but that is probably its only weakness. I never thought I'd have been able to choose a film I'd just seen as the better one but Django most certainly is. Tarantino continues to treat us with his amazing creations. If he doesn't win Best Original Screenplay at the Oscars, there will have been a robbery.

Basterds. Better paced, and I found it more interesting. Although I definitely need to give it a rewatch.

I definitely agree with you MysticSpoon. Basterds is much better in terms of pacing.

Yep! Django kills Basterds for me! i cannot wait to watch Django again and again on Blu ray. Inglorious Basterds, however, I have no intention of seeing it again and again...Its Tarantino's only movie that disappointed me the slightest

Unlike Django, Basterds is killer even when Christoph isn't around.

As someone who appreciates Tarantino's aesthetics, but loathes his flippancy, the two would be even on a matter of tone. Having seen Django yesterday, and Basterds back a few years ago, it may not be fair, but Django seems to have more compelling dialogue, more genuinely moving scenes, more horrific violence, characters which are either more likable or more hateful, while Basterds has...Diane Kruger. I'd be just fine if Django ended upon a handshake, the last 45 minutes feel tacked on to meet the requirements of his homage to revenge flicks.

Django was entertaining, but Basterds is still my favorite Tarantino.

Pulp Fiction > Django Unchained > Inglourious Basterds. All three are masterpieces.

Django's story one of universal values. Love, Revenge, Deceit. Friendship. While Basterds is a great film it doesn't age as well as Django, it's too dialogue driven and has little character archs. Django has all of these plus has gorgeous shots and beautiful cinematography

I'll go with Django. It was about 30 minutes too long...but I was easily more compelled by Waltz and Leo's characters than anything in Basterds...

I'll go with Django. It was about 30 minutes too long...but I was easily more compelled by Waltz and Leo's characters than anything in Basterds...

I find Django for better even after I re-visited Basterds and loved it! Django clearly for me. Waltz, Foxx and DiCaprio's characters were amazing. Better than any character in Basterds IMO

What a great match up! Two films that are really up my alley. Interesting as one is a western, and the other has lots of western imagery (standing above their victims when the Bear Jew reveals himself, lots of Spaghetti Western music etc. etc.). Also Christopher Waltz puts in fantastic performances in both, hard to separate. I think Django is the epitome of a person hell bent on revenge and it works better than Shosanna and the whole burning down of the cinema with Hitler in it. The Django shootouts relieved the pressure of retribution much better in my opinion, they were so bloody that they bordered on exploitation which I thought was great. The question of revenge is fine point to split two films, but these are of course wonderful films which are difficult to judge.

Changing my mind. Django loses some of its greatness on repeated viewings, but it still is a great film nonetheless. Inglourious Basterds on the other hand is simply the better film.

Django Unchained is a blatant exercise on a historical backdrop. Sure it's fairly entertaining, but the only redeemable qualities about this quaint film is Leonardo and Waltz' performances as Calvin Candie and Dr. King Schultz. Jamie Foxx didn't really feel like a main protagonist in this film, even though the title suggests so: Django Unchained. Inglourious Basterds is the most exciting and memorable revenge flick, with tonnes of better acting, action, dialogue and entertainment as a whole.

Inglourious for sure. The better film in the so called "Revenge Trilogy".

Inglourious Basterds is still very engaging on 5+ viewings. Django bored the shit out of me the second viewing.

Now I am having a tough time deciding what to pick here. Tarantino's two most recent films that re-write history and are revenge flicks, in my opinion they are his two greatest films after Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs. I could pick one of them, but I'd still be undecided. Both are very memorable and I loved their characters and performances, they really stick out as some of my favourites in recent years. I found Inglourious Basterds' pacing more solid though, Django's seemed to be a little bit all over the place (it that makes sense). Despite that, I had very little problem with the film overall, just thought that IB's pacing and story telling was done well and better than Django's. Very entertaining moments and scenes in both as well. Django's shout-out scenes were straight-out badass and I loved IB's dialogue in every scene, found it engaging. I am slightly leaning towards Django Unchained for now, although both will need a re-watch some time.

Basterds.

Inglorious Basterds. Both some of Tarantino's best work.

Django. I enjoyed it more.

Inglorious Basterds. These are some of Quentin Tarantino's best films. For me it goes: Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Inglorious Basterds, Kill Bill Volume 2, Django Unchained.

Both films are awesome but Django is currently #2 in my all-time list... and the Basterds isn't #1, soooo, yeah.

Tarantino is on a role. I love both of these movies, but if only one can win? Basterds.

Tarantino became famous for Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, and has stayed at the top of the list of great writers for his recent successes, Django and Basterds. Both are raw, unforgiving films that aren't for everyone. For those the films are meant for, they are reminders that Tarantino doesn't apologize for good writing. Both are tremendous works of historical fiction and both should be applauded.

Inglourious Basterds is much stronger in every single regard.

While I will admit the writing in Ingloriuos Basterds was top notch, you have to admit the film does drag in places. It also seemed very scatterbrained with all its characters, which can be also be a pacing issue. I found myself not really connecting to any of the characters though. I loved the opening, then it got better when we met the basterds (I was really looking forward to watching their characters grow, or, at the very least, bounce off one another.) But then, we leave them and go back to Shoshanna. Then the film severely drags. Sure, the dialogue is well-crafted, but it falls into the Tarantino pitfall of pedestrian vs engaging. Some of Tarantino's greatest dialogue scenes have been about nothing (Royale w/cheese anyone?) but this time, the dialogue between Zoller and Shoshanna is downright boring and doesn't progress enough plot or character to warrant my attention. At this point, I'm just waiting for the basterds to come back so I can give a damn about the movie again. Then, they do come back, and it's glorious (no pun intended) but it just can't make up for that shameful second act. Django Unchained, while I'll admit, maybe not the 'deeper' of the two films, combines fast-pacing, beautiful cinematography (that puts IB to shame), wonderful performances and a hell of a soundtrack. I will cede that it is more popcorn than philosophy, and I wouldn't say it's as good as Dogs or PF, but it certainly beats IB any day of the week in my book.

While I will admit the writing in Ingloriuos Basterds was top notch, you have to admit the film does drag in places. It also seemed very scatterbrained with all its characters, which can be also be a pacing issue. I found myself not really connecting to any of the characters though. I loved the opening, then it got better when we met the basterds (I was really looking forward to watching their characters grow, or, at the very least, bounce off one another.) But then, we leave them and go back to Shoshanna. Then the film severely drags. Sure, the dialogue is well-crafted, but it falls into the Tarantino pitfall of pedestrian vs engaging. Some of Tarantino's greatest dialogue scenes have been about nothing (Royale w/cheese anyone?) but this time, the dialogue between Zoller and Shoshanna is downright boring and doesn't progress enough plot or character to warrant my attention. At this point, I'm just waiting for the basterds to come back so I can give a damn about the movie again. Then, they do come back, and it's glorious (no pun intended) but it just can't make up for that shameful second act. Django Unchained, while I'll admit, maybe not the 'deeper' of the two films, combines fast-pacing, beautiful cinematography (that puts IB to shame), wonderful performances and a hell of a soundtrack. I will cede that it is more popcorn than philosophy, and I wouldn't say it's as good as Dogs or PF, but it certainly beats IB any day of the week in my book.

Derp, double post.

Basterds.

IB, but both are masterpieces

A really tough choice. But, Django unchained is more rattling and appeals to a large number of audiences

Inglourious Basterds > Django Unchained

Definetily Django unchained. But every film he directed and wrote in 90's is better than anything from his in 2000's

Django Unchained. While Inglorious Basterds does have a superior villain in the form of Hans Landa and could have been higher, ultimately Shoshanna Dreyfus's (played by Mélanie Laurent) dull revenge plot dragged down the film for me. Every time she was onscreen I was like "Get off the screen bitch! I want to see more Basterds or Landa!"

Django with a D in the beginning

Basterds easy for me!

Django easily!!! Best movie of the decade.

Oh Django!

Christoph Waltz is great in Django Unchained, but he's even better in Inglourious Basterds. Inglourious Basterds does everything thing better even the violence. Once again, enough can't be said about Christoph Waltz as the "Jew killer." I will say this about Django. I really dislike the western genre, but here you have a western that I don't just enjoy, but think is very good. I'll give it credit for that, I'm taking Inglourious Basterds.

Both films star Christoph Waltz and deal with discrimination against different races (if you can classify Jewish people as an individual race). They both are directed by Tarantino and are both original in their content in reference two these two subject matters. They are both extremely entertaining. I would say Django Unchained is the better movie though Inglorious Basterds is a good film.

Both suffer similar issues, but I'll slightly give it over to Django. Felt like it was more generally cohesive than Basterds as a film. Still really enjoy both quite a bit.

Two fantastic Tarantino flicks but Inglorious Basterds wins this one for me

Django is too awesome

Django was more consistently entertaining, but any time brad Pitt and the basterds were on scree it was an incredible movie. Plus Hitler dies which makes it great.

Django was more consistently entertaining, but any time brad Pitt and the basterds were on scree it was an incredible movie. Plus Hitler dies which makes it great.

Django, for me.

After watching them both again, I'd go with Django but it is so extremely close

love both but basters get the w

Inglorious basterds gets the win here.It had better acting better score better dialouges .Though Django is more rewatchable un my opinion

django is more satisfactory, Ig is more the sum of the parts tan a solid film. I like both but IG is the Tarantino film I like the least.

Basterds. I like Django too but really didn't care for Django & Broomhilda (Schultz was amazing thouhg), while I cared for almost everyone in Inglourious Basterds. Therefore I was more invested in it.

super close, but i choose basterds

Inglorious Basterds, but close

My 2 favorite Tarantino, Basterds has the edge for the first scene, Hans Landa (though King Schultz is also great) and the tavern scene.

I much prefer Django, it is structurally much stronger. Bastards is way to disjointed; There are really great individual scenes but they don't flow together at all.

ear
ear

I prefer Inglorous Basterds by a large margin.

Django Unchained is a fast paced nonstop action thrill ride, inglourious basterds was incredibly boring and slow with not enough scenes of the basterds or action, so Django wins by an extra gunshot and a squib (pun intended)

Just re watched Bastards. It's genial! Hard to not choose it over Django right now.

Django was more consistent, Basterds had better moments. The intro interrogation and bar shootout scenes are better than anything from Django, Hans Landa is also a better villain than Calvin Candie. But Django still does have less slow parts and more exciting set pieces. And even if Calvin Candie isn't as good of a villain as Hans Landa, he's still pretty damn good and that moment where he realizes Django and Schultz have been lying to him and he snaps is incredible. Django gets the slight edge for better cast imo.

Basterds is my favorite tarantino movie . django is one of his forgettable works it is good but only for the moment

ear
ear

Inglorious Basterds has climbed into my top 100 films. A nearly flawless masterpiece of social importance and gleefully entertaining.

I think it's honestly really close. I think Django Unchained is a very well structured, superbly written, well acted, and well shot movie, that also happens to be one of the best critiques of the ideologies behind slavery and racism during that era. It's a pretty subtle and deep movie behind all the comedy, gunfire, and gore. But Inglourious Basterds takes it for me. Not by much, but it does. It's a better written, better structured film with fun, engaging, yet weirdly complex characters, amazing acting from everyone, excellent cinematography, and some of the best dialogue in any film. So yeah, IB barely takes this

Inglourious Basterds to me is the superior work. Django is very good but it trails off at the end. Django himself isn't terribly compelling. I feel the performance lacks authenticity. Once Christoph Waltz and DiCaprio die the movie loses my engagement. Meanwhile Inglourious Basterds is effortlessly amazing. Everything flows together perfectly. I can't think of a single thing wrong with the movie.

How do you delete comments? I only meant to post this once.

the basterds easily scalp off Django.