Iron Man vs. Iron Man 3

23 comments

5 comments

Yeah, it's pt.3 right here. Better conflict, better dialogue, better by-play, better action. Still a lesser film in the vast collection of comic-book bad-assery, still flawed, still predominantly about RDJ doing what he does, but still good. IM3 > Extremis & IM > IM2 > Invincible Iron Man. The Extremis motion comic might actually be the least flawed of the Iron Man films (actually has some damn good dialogue), but you're rarely gonna get that Hollywood punch with a motion comic. I suspect Rise of Technovore will fit in nearer the bottom (Japan might have a legacy of mech, but they don't do superhero films all that well).

Just saw 3 and was blown away. Having only seen it once though I have to say I like the first slightly better, but that could change after I watch 3 a few more times. Both are damn fine films.

I like both a lot, but feel like the third had a bit more power and energy to it. When Iron Man came out, it was a funny superhero film done right. No one had seen anything like it before, so it was highly praised. Iron Man 3 came when everyone had seen funny superhero films with the Avengers, Iron Man 2, etc., and it had a lot to live up to. But it had me just as pumped as the first had me way back in 2008. Both were big successes, but I think Iron Man 3 deserves a bit more of my love.

Very close...but ultimately, the humor in part 3...as well as the weak villain in the first Iron Man sways me to pick Iron Man 3 as my favorite of the trilogy.

After seeing the third film this afternoon, I still prefer the first one. The pacing is better, and unlike Batman or Superman, not an origin story we were seeing re-interpreted for the umpteenth time. The villain was lame in both the first and the third films.

Wow, this is actually a tough call. The first film changed everything but I have to say that I enjoyed the change of direction and pure grown up feel of Iron Man 3. Both great films.

I really like both; they tower above the abomination that was the second and are enjoyable in their own right. Iron Man was obviously the more fresh, zesty superhero film when it came out; after many years of corny soppiness from Sam Raimi in the Spider-Man trilogy at one end of the scale, and the dark, brooding, morose tone of Nolan's Batman Begins and The Dark Knight of the same year as Iron Man at the other end, it was nice to see something which went for more of a compromise in terms of tone. For the most part, the film was fun, but also knew when to take its characters seriously. Throw in some brilliant action sequences, and you have my favourite MCU film aside from the Avengers. Iron Man 3 is a bit more personal and toned-down by comparison, and has more heartfelt moments. It is nice to see a bit more emotional complexity even if some of the more sensitive elements of Tony Stark's character (e.g. PTSD panic attacks) aren't fully realised in the script. Overall, I enjoyed them both, but I think that despite it's admirable attempts to go for a more emotionally vulnerable hero, Iron Man 3 is the less watertight film; there are still issues with the plot, particularly the villains motivations and methods (not to mention Tony's "come-at-me-bro" gesture of handing out his home address to the world, which while remotely understandable as an emotional backlash response, is pretty ridiculously stupid even by Tony's standards). So on that basis, Iron Man wins, but like I said, both are really enjoyable and light-years beyond the second film.

Truth is,those flicks are the best from Marvel studios yet. I'll go with "Iron Man 3" for reasons already very well spoken over n' over again on this matchup.

Eh, I'm a bit indifferent to this trilogy. Iron Man 2 was horrendous; it was the equivalent of sitting at a table next to an old married couple who argue about absolutely nothing. And it basically just served as a commercial saying "The next Avengers films are a-comin' !". It's one of the most pointless sequels I've ever seen; its story doesn't influence its protaganist in no way whatsoever. I mean, what can we take away from Iron Man 2? He now has a sidekick and he has a glowing blue triangle in his chest. Whoop-de-doo, people, whoop-de-doo. The first Iron Man was better, but I wouldn't call it a good film by any means. It's so lacking in various areas; the villain is simplistic, the plot is almost nonexistent, there's barely any action, there's so sense of danger for Tony Stark and the dialogue doesn't get to the point fast enough. Iron Man 3 fixes most if not all these problems and gives us some Shane Black goodness, but the film is still a bit problematic in places, the action scenes in particular; they weren't very well shot or edited. As it is, the film is just okay, but none of the films in this trilogy feels like "one of the best superhero movies ever made" to me, not even close.

three was a big disappointment...the first one is a much better film

The original Iron Man is easily my favorite of the trilogy.

IM 3 was good but not almost stop a last villin in almost the end, I go with 1

Oh man, why are you making me choose? Such classic!

The first Iron Man without a doubt.

Iron Man 3 was really good but Iron Man the original is actually a great film so much fun kick started the Marvel cinematic universe brilliantly its a damn fine fun superhero movie!

Either way, Iron Man is clearly the best trilogy in the comic book adaptation field. At least for now.

You sucks.

Glad you agree, clearly the best adaptation trilogy to date.

Iron Man was good, and it happen to be the only decent entry in that trilogy. Iron Man 3? Jesus, it was abysmal. Even the average at best IM2 was better than it.

Rac
Rac

Iron Man is legit great superhero flick. Iron Man 3 is a good Shane Black comedy.

Iron Man 3 is super underrated, but the first is a stone-cold classic.

Two of the all-time greats in one legendary trilogy.

Iron Man 1 was unique best ways.

IM3 is underrated but isn't even close to IM1

Iron Man 3 isn’t as bad as Iron Man 2, but it’s not even close to being as good as Iron Man

iron man 1 is overrated, iron man 3 is underrated, iron man 3 wins

Iron Man 3 > Iron Man > Iron Man 2

Iron Man 3 is the best of the trilogy. Sue me.

First, the other two are meh.

For me the first film is better and this third is even one of the worst MCU films But the worst thing about this film is how they adapted the Mandarin who was supposed to be one of Iron Man's bad guys and they adapted it from a stupid actor