Alexander vs. Troy

3 comments

4 comments

Troy wasn't great but Alexander was a freakin disaster.

Man, 2004 was not a good year to have a Classics degree. These two historically/literarily inaccurate movies were a chore to sit through. I mean, if you're going to disregard the source material this badly, at least do it like Gladiator or 300: ENTERTAININGLY. I agree with jetsilverravenger, Alexander was a freaking disaster. I can at least watch Troy again without cringing, and as long as I don't turn my brain on, it's not that bad. Sadly, I keep wishing I could forget Alexander, but then I realise that if I'd never seen it, then I might think it could be interesting and I'd go and watch it, and I don't want to subject myself to that again. Ever.

I agree with jetsilveravenger and vincemale. Troy wasn't great, but it is watchable if you feel like some brainless swords & sandals nonsense. But Alexander was a freaking disaster; a boring, overblown toilet bowl splatter. Terrible editing, a directionless script, a mismatched score, unlikable characters with terrible dialogue, and a waste of time and money. And Colin Farrell is worst of all, as the sobbing, bellowing, trembling, mincing little would-be Emperor. I did not know what to expect of his Alexander, but manic-depressive lunatic with mommy-issues was not it.

While Troy has its moments, Alexander is the one we'll still be watching on TV in 30 years. Mark my words. It's just misunderstood as hell. Troy is still entertaining-ish.

ear
ear

Alexander is more ambitious and I prefer Colin Farrell over the miscast Brad beach boy Pitt in this Trojan horse.

I have seen both movies twice I think; I still seem to remember a few decent-ish action scenes from Troy, whereas I literally remember nothing from "Alexander". Sorry, Oliver Stone!

Both forgettable. Wasn't Rosario nude in Alexander? So, that one then.