Marriage Story vs. Star Wars: The Force Awakens

1 comments

1 comments

Interesting match-up. I did enjoy The Force Awakens, but I felt like Adam Driver's presence was lacking. He wasn't menacing at all, at least for me. In Marriage Story, which I've already saw twice and it just grew on me, he's... kinda scary. Especially when he tells Scarlett Johansson that he hopes she gets hit by a car and dies. In fact, quite demonic. I'll pick MS because it had a great impact on me. I never had proper parents, so I can't say to relate to Henry or something and that's great. Also, I never got divorced, in fact, not even old enough for that. Divorce is for people who are older than 30 (35?). TFA is just a rehash of better Star Wars movies.

I prefer Force Awakens but, in terms of Adam Driver as an actor, he is far better in Marriage Story. He's subtle, relatable yet can be very dramatic. The new trilogy just has him scream and whine which doesn't work when he's supposed to be a threatening villain. And it didn't help that he kills the Supreme Leader to redeem himself just to become evil again and then kills the real Emperor to redeem himself in the next one before dying for no reason. The First Order and how it uses the characters involved might be the weakest link of this new trilogy (outside Finn, ripping off and reconning and having no direction)