The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe vs. No Country for Old Men

2 comments

4 comments

Narnia, hands down. I don't care how silly I look.

I don't think you look silly picking a good fantasy film over a turd-fest.

Oh, No Country... is hardly a "turd-fest"...but I'm picking Narnia, too. Narnia, in a lot of ways, is pretty weak, actually, but it's one of the better rip-offs of The Lord of the Rings that I've seen. Meanwhile, No Country For Old Men is an absolutely FANTASTIC film...right up until the "ending". I felt so ripped off by that movie, I can't even describe it. It was well on its way to being one of my all-time favorite movies and then--bam--it just ended, and I felt the Coens hadn't given me a proper resolution. The first hour and a half or more of No Country For Old Men totally kicks Narnia to the curb, but I'm going with The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe simply because of how betrayed I felt by the "Best Picture" winner. I dunno; maybe I'd feel differently if I watched it again....

I'll have to be the odd one out here. Narnia isn't bad but I really enjoyed No Country.

Mad, mad world. Each...own...opinion...entitlement... so forth. Put your nuts in a vice if your head's unstable.

Totally agree with johnmason. The ending of No Country for Old Men was a huge letdown, it kind of ruined the film for me. (This and the fact that the DVD I rented was damaged and freezed at 0:50; I had to wait about two weeks for a replacement, which obviously didn't help me liking the film.) Narnia isn't great, but at least it has a satisfying ending.

ear
ear

The ending of No Country was abrupt and confusing but the great acting and suspense this film delivered easily secures a win here.

JRM
JRM

Even with the wtf ending, I'm picking No Country. But I think Narnia is a fabulous film.