3:10 to Yuma vs. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

5 comments

3 comments

Two of my favorite Westerns here. "3:10 to Yuma" was a nice little macho-fest and the performances by Crowe and Bale were great to watch. "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance," though, is something more. It's not just an exploration of masculinity, but a discussion of American mythology. John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart were perfectly cast, as was Lee Marvin (who played Liberty Valance). Also, this is one of the few movies I can name that actually significantly improved on its source material; Dorothy M. Johnson's original short story lacks the nuance and tension that mark John Ford's film.

I have to disagree about James Stewart and John Wayne being "perfectly cast" in their roles in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. It would have been so much better if the two roles were performed by younger actors, in my opinion. As it is, the film is a rather mediocre western. Give me 3:10 to Yuma every time.

I'll take 3:10 to Yuma every time in this match up...

"The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence" being one of the best westerns ever made is of course better. 3:10 was good, but it just doesn't compare. This match is whether unfair.

*rather unfair

James and John may have been a little older when they were cast, but I doubt younger actors could have given better performances.

i think the man who shot liberty valance is one of wayne and stewart's best films but i liked 3.10 to yuma better.manly because i'm more of an action guy.

not a Doubt its The man who Shot Liberty Valance it has the better story and makes you rout for its characters its perfect and I love how that John and James are older men trying to redeem themselves.