Chronicle vs. The Avengers

5 comments

8 comments

on 5/27/2012

we have the hulk

on 6/22/2012

Proof that this year will be the best superhero year ever

on 6/22/2012

Two of my favorite films of 2012. It's close, but I'm going with The Avengers. Chronicle is extremely original and intelligent though.

on 6/22/2012

Avengers. Yeah, Chronicle was good...but good ain't enough this time around...

on 6/27/2012

Chronicle get this one easily, with no doubt whatsoever. No hate at all for "The Avengers".

on 7/6/2012

Chronicle is a fantastic film! The Avengers is just a bit better at being fantastic.

on 7/14/2012

Chronicle was great! But the Avengers edges out BARELY! Chronicle will always be the best found footage film

on 11/5/2012

Both will probably be in my top 5 of 2012, but whereas The Avengers was a good, hearty romp (and expertly handled given the enormity of the task possessed by Joss Whedon), Chronicle, which I had my doubts about before purchasing it on DVD, having not seen it in the cinema, completely blew me away. I must emphasise that I do not use that phrase lightly as it really irritates me, but I really wish I had seen it in the cinema. I have issues with both, and The Avengers is probably a more consistent film, but the high points of Chronicle completely overshadow anything The Avengers had to offer. So I'm going to go with American Akira, but like I said, both will probably be in my Top 5 of 2012, or very close to it.

JRM
JRM

on 1/15/2013

Chronicle had much stronger character development and it wad emotionally gripping. Worked great as both a character piece and a super hero film. Avengers was lots of fun, but I like my blockbusters with a little more substance.

on 1/15/2013

Chronicle is about a whiny baby with a handheld camera. Surprisingly enjoyable for whst it is, but it's still about a bitch. But maybe loser bitches = substance.

JRM
JRM

on 5/27/2014

A loser bitch is someone who is going through an awful time in his life? Alright then...

on 5/27/2014

I felt for the kid. I didn't think I was going to feel much of anything, considering what the trailers gave us. The first hour, I thought it was a great bro movie turned Stand by Me-with-superpowers. If it had stayed that way, it would have been a fine movie, but then it turns into a modern Superman/Zod throwdown, with some Akira and a bit of "Pumped Up Kicks" thrown in, and I'm sold. I loved the three leads, and turning things tragic sealed the deal. I dug it. *shrug* The part where they learn to fly was fantastic. But I'd still have to go with The Avengers. It could have been a fucking disaster, but Marvel's kept their shit together the whole way through, so far, and Whedon just killed it. I knew he would. Seeing that movie was something I never thought would happen, but holy shit, it did. But that wouldn't have meant much if Whedon and Co. hadn't totally nailed it.

on 5/27/2014

Yeah, alright indeed. Mofo reminds me of Chris Rock's skit on Columbine. "Weh! No-one will play with us. We have no friends. Weh!"

on 5/28/2014

I think the emotional broadness kind of helps with its comic book-y-ness. It inflates it. DeHaan gets to be the broad "I've been wronged" supervillain. You know, Marvel Comics, like. And then Russell gets the Peter Parker/young Clark Kent arc and the whole responsibility bit.

on 9/9/2014

Chronicle is the clear winner for me. Avengers is a lot of fun but Chronicle was so original and I was much more invested in the characters.