Captain America: The First Avenger vs. Iron Man 3

11 comments

10 comments

I can't even be bothered.

Iron Man beats the Cap.

Toughie, but I have to go with Iron Man 3.

Very good films both.

Not Marvel's proudest work. I'm going with Iron Man 3.

These films are simply fun and thrilling. Everything I wanted.

Iron Man 3. Both are pretty solid Marvel films, but I just enjoy watching IM3 more.

Both are very solid fun but I felt Cap was better.

I'm going with Captain America: The First Avenger which is my favorite Marvel Studios film along with Winter Soldier, the original Iron Man, and The Avengers. Iron Man 3 was a weak installment for me.

Two awesome but very different films. Cap sets up the character and hits all the points it needed to while IM3 was free to be its own thing and show the character of Tony Stark in and especially out of the armor.

I'm going with Iron Man 3. Mandarin is the lesser of the two evils btw. And the bigger evil don't had a great time in the screen.

Cap was a good film but if I had to choose one to watch right now, it would be Iron Man 3

First Avenger easily.

Wow! Two great trilogies. Movie one vs movie three shouldn't be fair yet Cap delivered three great movies. Start to finish it's Cap.

I swear people only be commenting on superhero movies

Iron Man 3 didn't hit as much as the first two did, but I still had fun with it, more than First Avenger. It honestly is the best MCU trilogy cause I don't think any of them are bad

i'd take the weak IM2 over TFA, IM3 pretty much stomps

iron man 3 pure greatness

Both are mid-tier MCU movies, Iron Man 3 wins by having a better 3rd act and a more satisfying ending, even if it was undone in later movies

Upon reflection all these years later, I think I've changed my vote. This is a pretty interesting matchup narratively, as one shows the rise of Steve Rogers and other shows the implosion of Tony Stark. I still consider First Avenger a favorite among the almost innumerable installments in the MCU, but the horse named Iron Man 3 has really charged its way up the pack as well over the years. I've come to really appreciate the story this one set out to tell, showing Tony Stark deal with the trauma of the events in The Avengers and forcing him to fight his way out without always relying on his handy dandy suits. While I initially was pretty far from keen on what they did with the villain, I've done a complete 180 on that, where I wouldn't have it any other way. Even inconsequential things like Shane Black's go-to Christmas setting and the movie starting on a simple voiceover before blasting a pop song over the Marvel Studios logo is fantastic. Their overreliance on it has made it feel like a gimmick now, but having the Eiffel 65 song kick off this movie really made the opening stand out. Iron Man 3 is in the distinct group of feeling like it had an actual director working on it rather than a boardroom like so many of the other movies feel like. On top of it all, it has a satisfying ending that the MCU back peddled on way too soon. Bravo, Iron Man 3. It took some time, but you really won me over.

Two personal MCU favourites of mine! Interesting match-up, but I think I'm going with TFA because of Hugo Weaving's performance as Red Skull!

Winter Soldier >= Iron Man >= Civil War >>>>> Iron Man 3 > First Avenger >= Iron Man 2

Cap was average but better