Captain America: The First Avenger vs. Iron Man

5 comments

14 comments

Marvel's two best films going head to head!!! Civil War all the way. Cap is more fun with better action but Iron Man has more charm. Both casts are amazing. Cap's "Raiders of the Lost Ark" feel wins the day here.

These two were the best Marvel movies. I love Iron Man but I thought Captain America was better because it was a classic superhero story + Men on a Mission movie + adventure movie

I gotta go with Iron Man. I enjoyed Captain America, but the acting was slightly above average, the story was good, the effects and action were great, and the pacing was off. Iron Man had consistency, exciting battle scenes, great action, a fun story, and awesome effects as well. Robert Downey Jr. makes a much better Iron Man than Chris Evans for Captain America.

AUGH! Talk about a showdown! I think I'll go to CAP on tjis one, because it had EVERYTHING against it and turned outr to be so much fun.

JRM
JRM

Captain America wasn't all that. But Iron Man definitely deserves the praise.

Yeah, Iron Man wins this one (but I think it's close).

Iron Man

Captain America. WWII era is what wins it.

Iron Man.

"Iron Man" for me, although I don't think "Captain America" is that far behind.

I like both movies, though I think they're both overrated and nothing exceptional. Iron Man has a very good first half but then falls apart. Captain America starts out OK, and keeps treading along OK. I guess Iron Man wins because it does have some very good moments, but I'm probably not going to watch either ever again.

I enjoyed both, but Iron Man moreso, which I feel has more replay value. That said, Cap needs a rewatch (especially if I'm going to get off my arse and watch Winter Soldier).

Gotta go with Iron Man. Close call....

Iron Man by a long shot. The first Captain America is too slow-moving for my tastes, though they fixed the pacing in the sequel.

Winter Soldier beats Iron Man. Iron Man beats First Avengers. First Avenger beats Iron Man 2 & 3

I'm rewatching the MCU during lockdown and I've just got up to the first Avengers film. It was nice to rewatch all the phase one films again; even the lesser films weren't quite as bad as I remember (though by no means "good"). These two are definitely the best of the "feeder"/origins films in phase one. It's a very close matchup; both do justice to the characters and definitely launched Robert Downey Jr. and Chris Evans to stratospheric heights with the respective roles (the former moreso), both have solid action, supporting casts, chemistry and storylines. If you'd asked me the question 10 years ago, I would have said Iron Man without question; RDJ's performance was layered, entertaining and eye-catching and the second act action sequences were very entertaining (particular the dogfight with the F-22s). That having been said, as compelling a performer as Jeff Bridges is, the script doesn't give him much to work with and Obidiah Stane definitely kickstarted the disposable, forgettable, one-shot Marvel villain trend (which only really got worse from there, where it applied to certain characters). Additionally, after the aforementioned dogfight, the film's third act feels kind of limp, and while I'm sure/I vaguely remember it looking cool in 2008, the effects on the final fight really don't hold up particularly well. By contrast, Captain America probably has the best Marvel villain, apart from Loki, of the first half of the MCU franchise and overall feels like a more complete movie which holds up on its own merits. Although both of them have easter eggs and dovetail into future films, I felt that Captain America worked more as a standalone film, if for no other reason than its quality was consistent throughout. So for that reason, Captain America edges it here.

Re-watching these now is even more of a treat. They mean more. Two of the greatest origin films ever made in all seriousness. Just superb in all aspects. I have a feeling Marvel Studios is heading down the toilet from here. That will make these gems even more valuable over time.

Iron Man wins not close

first avenger is bad, iron man is overrated but great

First Avenger is fine and all but Iron Man is still the best origin story MCU has ever given us, and will probably remain the best the way MCU's crumbling.

Iron Man, and it's not even close. The original Iron Man is one of the best MCU films. The First Avenger isn't a bad film, but the superhero/war film hybrid doesn't work as well as it could. Iron Man wins for me

Iron Man is the best origin in the mcu by far

the reason why Captain America wins because he was truly the most successful MCU character whereas Iron Man is just a braggart who thinks he's intelligent but is too selfish But this doesn't mean that I hate the characters