Captain America: The First Avenger vs. Thor

22 comments

11 comments

2011 gave us a great reason to get excited for The Avengers. These are probably two of the most different Marvel movies, with Captain taking place during World War II and Thor jumping between present day Earth and other realms. These are two of the better comic book adaptations to date, they seem to only be getting stronger. I am giving the edge to Thor for one reason, Chris Hemsworth seems to be born for the role. Chris Evans was fantastic as the Captain, proving that he is more than just a punchline generator with a six pack, but Hemsworth owned the role just as much as RDJ made Iron Man his own.

Two of the best, if not the best movies of 2011. Marvel has so much to be proud of and this is BEFORE Avengers hits. Amazing films.

Good one captain amaerica is average in almost every way, and Thor is terrible. There's not a good villain in either

Liked both a lot...but I'm going with Thor. Better humor, more interesting, complex storyline. Can't wait for the Avengers.

Very hard, both very good films, but I have to say i'm going for Captain America. I loved the look and tone of the film, and it seemed very slightly more original than Thor.

Both films have major problems. Both have major logic gaps with Asgard being unable to fix the bridge that they built, making a contrived reason why Thor can't return and Cap not being thrown into USO shows when he's their best soldier Cap has very little story arc and virtually no character development and a lackluster villain, whereas Thor's transition from selfish blowhard to selfless hero and his blossoming romance with Portman's character is far too rushed (literally happens overnight), and an uneven villain. Cap also has some dumb moments, such as sneaking into a Nazi base with a large American labeled shield on his back. Still, I'll give it the edge as it didn't have any ridiculous comic relief characters (Warriors 3 and Sif), though Tommy Lee Jones basically plays himself in this film. Both are inferior to First Class, however.

JRM
JRM

I really enjoyed both, but THOR had more interesting characters, stronger performances (particularly Hemsworth), more exhilarating action sequences, better humor, and a more dynamic villain.

I found Cap as a person more interesting than Thor, whose sudden character development in the second act was far too rushed to be believable. There were some bad story elements in Cap, too (what did killing Bucky off really accomplish in terms of plot or character development?) but I had an easier time caring about the major players. In regard to the acting, I'd say that Hopkins and Hiddleston gave the best performances in either movie, but the Captain cast is nothing to laugh at, and perhaps stronger overall. Of course, despite the lovely period details, there was nothing in CA to match the visual splendor of Asgard. I'm giving it to Captain for now, but that could change.

I found Cap as a person more interesting than Thor, whose sudden character development in the second act was far too rushed to be believable. There were some bad story elements in Cap, too (what did killing Bucky off really accomplish in terms of plot or character development?) but I had an easier time caring about the major players. In regard to the acting, I'd say that Hopkins and Hiddleston gave the best performances in either movie, but the Captain cast is nothing to laugh at, and perhaps stronger overall. Of course, despite the lovely period details, there was nothing in CA to match the visual splendor of Asgard. I'm giving it to Captain for now, but that could change.

If these two movies were fused, we'd have something spectacular. Thor (the character himself and the casting of CH) is so likeable and awesome, but the rest of the film is quite generic. I don't necessarily like his transition either (or, I don't necessarily like That he transitions; he's better in the first half). Captain America is a bland 'don't invite him to the party' kinda character, but the rest of the film, by and large, is better. I would definitely invite my boy Chris Evans to the party though, he's my kinda dude. @SquareMaster You gon' cite The Warriors Three and the gorgeous Lady Sif as "riduculous comic relief", but say nothing of that Kat Dennings creature? Tha fuck is up with that?

While I like Thor more as a character, I like Captain America more as a movie.

Man, I could go back and forth on this one for the rest of my life.

Captain America!

I vote for Captain America cuz it had more and better action.

I vote for Captain America cuz it had more and better action.

I enjoyed both of these films. While neither of these films are spectacular by any means, they are fun movies. I think when you get down to it, I give the nod to the Captain.

I loved both of these movies, but Cap was a little bit better. If Thor stuck more with the Asgard stuff and not so much of the Earth-based storyline, then I'd probably go with Thor. Still, they are both top 100 movies on my list.

I think I like Thor a bit more.

Both are very good, but I prefer Thor.

I just watched these back to back, and I'm not thrilled by either. I need a strong villain to make be pulled in, and Thor had such a weak villain and CA had a good attempt. The beginning of Captain America captivated me because they could have cast my high school body as the pre-Captain America body. But I felt cheated because *boom* now I'm big and attractive, lets move on. There was no adapting, no adjusting, just more like "ok, he's big now, lets get onto the action." Thor's plot was kind of generic, but the chemistry between Hems and Portman was good, so that's what makes me give it to Thor. Also, Idris Elba needs his own movie where he can flaunt how badass he is, enough with these small parts.

Ahhh, now out of Marvel's five lead up to Avengers films, these are the two best! Yes, I think both are better than Iron Man. Both perfectly set up the characters and gave us origin films to remember. Cap had the better action and villain but Thor had more heart and better pathos. They both had the perfect directors in place to deliver just what each character calls for.

I prefer Thor, find it way more memorable and watchable, with better performances, nice direction from Branagh and great chemistry between Hemsworth and Portman.

Both movies were pretty underwhelming, but at least Captain America had better style.

"Captain America" for me. "Thor" was good, but I didn't think it was particularly great. C.A. seemed more enjoyable as a whole.

*yawn* CAP gets my vote because as vapid as it is, I liked it while I was watching it. THOR was just a garish mess. I dig Hiddleston as Loki, though.

Two wonderful origin films that sets up a universe and delivered what is now two superb sequels.

Both Thor movies were fun and all, but the Captain America series is the best thing the MCU has running at the moment. Not all that close.

Got to go with Captain America I love the period piece feel and the Red Skull was very cool love the Nazi sub factors Hydra very realistic and the story was great -Action is overrated the best films ever have almost no action!

The most old-fashioned of the MCU, I think--as in, they hearken back to superhero movies of yore, such as Christopher Reeve's Superman. (Oh look, another Chris.) They wear their hearts on their sleeves and make no apologies. On the most recent rewatch, I've switched my ranking of these two. Cap has the better love interest but Thor has the better villain, and I've decided that, in the end, Hiddleston's Loki in his very best outing does indeed win this for me. His scenes with Odin after he realizes he is a Frost Giant, and with Thor when he lies and says their father's dead, are better than anything in the first Cap movie IMHO. I still think his character development is a bit too rushed and the romance is unconvincing, but then again I also think Captain America kind of falls apart in the third act. Both have hugely flawed screenplays but are rescued by the charisma of their cast.

Captain America easily

Thor for me. Winter Soldier would take this win.

i liked Captain America: The First Avenger a lot, but out of all of the mcu films, it's my least favorite. But with Thor, you have to give them credit for trying something so silly and making it work. I think Thor is better.

Two great lead-offs to what ended up being two of the greatest trilogies the genre and action films have ever seen. Not bad boys...

These two are horrible. Both are bland and unfocused. Why? Because the filmmakers didn’t know whether they wanted to setup The Avengers or create a standalone origins story and they became such a damn mess because of it. So instead we got tired and clichéd storytelling, one-dimensional characters, lifeless action and no reason to be interested.

First Avenger may be one of the top 50 movies ever made. Thor isn't bad itself but Captain America is just amazing.