Se7en vs. No Country for Old Men

7 comments

13 comments

Two incredibly well made films. Difficult choice, but I think I'll go with Seven.

NCFOM is simply stunning.

I'm going with No Country. I love Seven, but No Country blows it out of the water.

Seven gets the edge for me. Not sure if I can say exactly why, just found Seven more engrossing.

No Country has much more rewatch value

well, shit...

Se7en it is.Kevin Spacey is too good.

Oh my goodness. NCFOM shows the evil bad guy doing what he does and why he is scary/Se7en just tells you he is. However, I liked Pitt/Freeman much more than Jones AND got some closure to the story. ARGH!

Two of the best thrillers ever made. But I'm going with Se7en. Doe was a more menacing villain than Chigurh. His philosophy seemed more attractive. No Country's ending left me disappointed and Se7en's ending left me shocked. Overall, Se7en was a more haunting experience.

Se7en for me. Two great thrillers, but Se7en is something else.

Se7en for sure.

Two amazing films with two amazing villains. I'll take Se7en.

Both are such superb thrillers. NCFOM has the very slight edge.

Seven holds together better as a film . NCFOM suffers a little from its somewhat rambling structure in comparison with Seven.

Se7en takes the win pretty easily

no country

This is the toughest one I’ve had so far

Technical Brilliance: No Country Entertainment Value: No Country Rewatchability: No Country Acting: Se7en Writing: Se7en Directing: Se7en Cinematography: No Country Music: Se7en Length: Tie Pacing: No Country Accessibility: No Country Influence/Innovation: Se7en Characters: Se7en Story: No Country Themes: Tie No Country wins out barely.

Ignore my comment above, I clearly had no idea how to structure proper responses, like an idiot. But anyways, these two are quite possibly my favorite thrillers of all time with shades of horror aspects. Se7en undoubtedly has a better ending (although No Country's ending is great because it's appropriate and makes sense for the story it was trying to tell, a final confrontation between the protagonist and antagonist would've been too predictable and generic imo). No Country for Old Men has the better villain (and my favorite villain in cinema.) but John Doe is still incredible despite the fact that he only shows up in the third act but his presence can still be felt through out the entire runtime. No Country's technical polish and rewatch potential give it the edge over Se7en but both are still in my Top 10.

TheLovecraft98 I don't quite agree with your take. I think Se7en has a pretty massive edge in all technical areas from editing to cinematography. Pacing is something I'd say is tied. No Country's ending is underrated and a great ending that's in line with the themes it plays with, but Se7en makes it look pedestrian by comparison. It has possibly the best ending in cinema history. Possibly being the operative word. I think Anton is a brilliant villain, but I don't think you can really compare the two considering that they're both different. John Doe is a looming villain who we never see until the 3rd act of the film, whereas Bardem's character is the first character we see at all. I think Se7en is a more atmospheric film with a better screenplay, but both are great. I think their biggest advantages are that they actually make the audience think a bit about things. They don't spoonfeed us and we often have to make connections and visualize things on our own. But I think Se7en holds the edge