The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring vs. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

22 comments

0 comments

just watched the hobbit an unexpected journey. it was great. true to the tone of the original book in the same way TLOR was true to the original books. great performances (Bilbo, Thorin Gandalf, everyone), exciting and funny. But some of the cg characters could have been depicted better in my opinion in THAUJ. Azog and the trolls being prime examples. Fellowship is the better first movie but for a kids bedtime story the hobbit is great addition to the middle earth films.

The Hobbit is a great film, but it feels more like a piece of a greater whole. Sure, Fellowship is the same, but Fellowship feels like a more complete experience on it's own than the Hobbit. I do feel the An Unexpected Journey will be better when the missing pieces of the story are released in the next couple of years, but until than, it can't match any of the LOTR films

Fellowship is the best of the Lord of the Rings movies in my opinion. The Hobbit is very good, but it could have been better.

Fellowship by a long shot. It is the best of its respective series.

As much as I love the Hobbit ( I mean, I seriously LOVED THE HELL OUT OF IT), The Fellowship is a better film. It had better characters, though I loved the dwarves, and also Lurtz > Azog The Fellowship is better constructed but the Hobbit was absolutely unbelievable as well

To mirror everyone else who has commented here, I really enjoyed the Hobbit and think that it holds a lot of promise for the rest of the films, but it could have been cut by at least 30 mins and it wouldn't have harmed it at all (Radagast, Elders meeting, Storm Giants etc). The fantasy/adventure and lightheartedness bear the strongest resemblance to FOTR out of the original three, and I loved FOTR for that very reason. While I will definitely get TH:AUJ when it comes out (preferably extended edition, ironically enough), FOTR is simply the better film, with perfect justification for being as long as it is.

I'll likely have a higher opinion of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey after another viewing or two but, for right now, it gets absolutely crushed in this matchup.

The first Hobbit is a great return to Middle-earth, but it actually feels a bit overlong, and, structurally, rips off Fellowship in a big way. It's not going to replace my #1 anytime soon, but I enjoyed the ride, and look forward to what the sequels might have to offer.

Fellowship, pretty much because The Hobbit could have been cut down a little.

The Hobbit was great, but it's runtime was definitely too long for what it had to offer. So Fellowship of the Ring wins by far.

That's funny, because those films coulnd't make a more perfect comparison. Both are the beginning of two journeys that are split in three parts (three movies), they're the ones with the less action as they're mainly focused on the beginning of the journey and the purpose of it. Great comparison. That said, TLOTR movie is superior. It's a rich man's "The Hobbit".

I swear I've commented on this, but whatever. Anyways, I agree with the general consensus. An Unexpected Journey is fantastic, but Fellowship is simply better.

Even though these movies are very similar (in quite a couple of surprising ways, actually) there's really no contest. It's Fellowship of the Ring by far. The Hobbit is not a bad movie, but it's not as intimate nor as exciting as Fellowship of the Ring (even if it does have Martin Freeman in peak form which is a big, big plus). It's light sense of humor is off, the characters completely personality-less, and the first forty minutes dull. It's not a bad movie, it's just really flawed. Fellowship, too, is flawed, but the result is a much more enjoyable experience. It's the original, all the way.

Fellowship is immaculate in every way, The Hobbit is a bit too long for its own good.

No contest!

The Hobbit is way better, it is much more exciting than Lord of the Rings. The Hobbit was also the true story of Tolkien after all.

Hahaha, The Hobbit is atrocious. Fellowship is darn near perfect!

love both but Fellowship is pure magic and a epic journey.

LOTR is still No.1 on my list.

Fellowship is the clear winner for me. Such a great film that still remains fresh every time I go back to re-watch it. Unexpected Journey just felt like a hollow shadow of the LOTR trilogy with characters that are no where near as likable or interesting.

One is a grand start to a trilogy that manages to earn it's length... and the other is The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.

While Fellowship is my least favorite of the first trilogy and Unexpected Journey is more solid than not, at least the former isn't full of filler.

Fellowship definitely wins, though An Unexpected Journey is my favorite of the Hobbit trilogy.

Most definitely Lord of the Rings is far too powerful here in this are.

Area I mean.

The novel Lord of the Rings is always the real Tolkien story IMO.

The Hobbit trilogy are great movies, but it will never come close to LOTR